Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Nato
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nato deploying missiles in Turkey's border...
Do you think this will have any repercussions? Do you think they will use them?
Will this effect us in any way,shape or form?
My mate from work is a Turkish national (well dual nationality) & he got a letter through the post putting him on military standby & report to the Turkish Embassy in London if/when requested to do so.

No volunteering for TA over there. If you're Turkish, you are enlisted. Permanently (well until you hit a certain age) Smile

Personally I think NATO are using turkey as it'll be Muslim country vs Muslim country if it does kick off. Had it been Israel, all the other dodgy lot round that way could possibly join in.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20911919

...an interesting read

I think this was bound to happen, I dont think its a lead up to anything, Nato has an obligation to protect its members
(5 January 2013, 21:07)Prepaday Wrote: [ -> ]Nato deploying missiles in Turkey's border...

They are part of NATO, if it is a reasonable request, then that is as it should be.

(5 January 2013, 21:07)Prepaday Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think this will have any repercussions? Do you think they will use them?

The Russians might say something, but only as a token. They are anti ballistic missile weapons - or so we are told. Unless the Russians plan on sending ballistic missiles into Turkey any time soon, then we have no problems.

However, they were originally designed as anti aircraft weapons. Missiles go a bit faster.

As long as they are only going after missiles perceived to be incoming, or enemy aircraft over NATO territory, no rule are broken and no one else can get pissed off.

If we start using them to shoot down Syrian jets willy nilly - well, then we are starting to influence a civil war in such a way that we should not.

Do I think we will use them? Well, as they are anti ballistic missile weapons, better the question may be "Do you think Turkey will have hostiles incoming?"

(5 January 2013, 21:07)Prepaday Wrote: [ -> ]Will this effect us in any way,shape or form?

I plan on talking to the chap in the kebab shop about how we are allies supporting each other in the hope I get a freebie or extra pickled chillies.