Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Cheap, Comfortable, Concealable Hobbit House - DIY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.preparednessandsurvival.info/...-ebook.pdf

This guy built what is essentially an underground log cabin by digging it out himself, and building the walls with hand-treated wood and plastic sheeting. It should last around 70 years before maintenance is required.

I was thinking this would be good for a BOL. You could find a cheap area of woodland, and slowly build it up as a project on the weekends. Just don't tell anyone. That said, you might be able to get planning permission what with greenbuilds becoming more mainstream nowadays
good post tibbs thanks
I love this book- had it for a while now.Tend not to look at it too much, as I spend the rest of the day dreaming Smile
Don,t we all BM
(10 January 2013, 09:35)Straight Shooter Wrote: [ -> ]Don,t we all BM

Aye. It's really starting to piss me off. You can build one of these homes for pretty much nothing, as long as you have a few hundred thousand pounds for the land Angry

I designed a container home, made of four of the 40' by 10' shipping containers - arranged in a square with a gap to get a vehicle through. NOT burried, so no worries there. From the outside it would just look like 4 containers, but on the inside I'd put in big windows to bring in light, and some light tubes in the roof. I could have it done within a year and it wouldn't cost very much at all. BUT the price of land completely screws everything.
(10 January 2013, 10:34)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]the price of land completely screws everything.

yep, dosent it just, down in the SW we are up against the "pony paddock" brigade and this really puts land prices up.
OH stop it ! BM .....theres movement here down below....if you get my drift.......HEY i seem to remember something like that....way back when....uuuummmm
Yes, land is getting ridiculously expensive, especially down south. But, for a low-key bug-out location, there are still places available.

This one is available from Woodlands.co.uk. £59,000 for 10.5 acres. Not exactly cheap, but not into the hundreds of thousands either. 10.5 acres would be large enough to conceal a low-key underground dwelling of the type described in this thread, as well as providing a sustainable supply of firewood and potential for trapping / hunting small mammals and birds.

The beauty of these parcels of woodland is that they tend to be parts of much larger woodland tracts, which provides additional concealment.

In terms of £ per acre, they're expensive, but their smaller size puts them potentially within reach. To get a lower price per acre you'd normally be looking at buying something much bigger, which could be a false economy. They sell smaller parcels, which are cheaper but even worse value for money, if you see what I mean. Depends what you need, and what's affordable.

You'd almost certainly not get planning permission for a dwelling on this kind of land, but, under Permitted Development, you would be allowed to put up a store for forestry tools and equipment. You are also permitted to stay overnight on the land in a temporary structure for up to 28 nights per year without planning. But, of course, the beauty of woodland is that it is naturally concealing, which means it's difficult for antone to know if you are breaching these rules!Smile
Those woodlands sound great,..if I was down that way I would be looking into that sale