Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Entertainment post SHTF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(14 January 2013, 23:32)Tibbs735 Wrote: [ -> ]I really dread seeing the massive ivory tower of accumulated knowledge being lost in one generation to our failings. Things like reading, writing, maths, history, science etc would need to be kept alive.

Reading, writing, mathematics are skills that serve a purpose, I think their future is there as long as people exist. Science? Well, unless we plan to rebuild a similar world, today's science would devolve back into alchemy, metallurgy, botany and physiology, a little natural meteorology and astronomy and basic physics.

History may become an oral tradition as it once was and rather than think of the past as a backwards place as we do now, stories from history will be melded and embellished into tales, fables and lessons.

I do not think there is anything wrong per se with having electrical goods if you can power them, but I think maybe for some who have managed a transition into another way of life may have bigger problems when the last vestiges of the pinnacle achievements of the old world fail.

Perhaps we will have more to keep our minds occupied and not be so fragile if such a time arises; thinking of surviving and food, family and shelter and the basics and what is needed to maintain rather than entertain - after all, a lot of the entertainment in the world today is entertainment for its own sake and is and could only ever be a product of society the way it is today.
(14 January 2013, 23:56)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't I mention a stack of educational books, The three R's up to and including Advanced. Physics, Chemistry, Biology. All the hard sciences.

....and how big is your house SD ?....Big Grin
i think for 3 - 6 months we'll just be too busy staying alive to worry about "entertainment", there will be plenty of odd chores to do to keep you busy, repairing tools, sharpening knives, making arrows, cleaning lamp glasses, that sort of thing, but for lighter moments i do have a mouth organ and small flute!Big Grin
To be honest I think that as civilisation gains a foot hold life will return to what it is now [ given time ]... no-one is going to go for storytelling once someone has managed to make and print paper, it is easier to read and save a good story, or to pass that story on via paper.

Science will soon make a comeback as soon as the brightest amonst us works out how to do things,.. simply because its easier and in many case time saving

Every reason for why we have what we do now will be just as important after an even,.. it will just take time to return

There may have been many many years of `making do`, suffering without`,..so when some guy re-invents something people are going to jump at it
(15 January 2013, 12:44)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest I think that as civilisation gains a foot hold life will return to what it is now.

oh god!! i hope not!TongueBig Grin i cant imagine anything so soul destroying as going through the Apocalypse and then having to return to life as it is now.
I hope life does return to something along the lines of what we have now. Obviously leaving some of more undesirable things behind.
throwing knives? Big Grin plus it could have practicle uses too Big Grin
(15 January 2013, 13:14)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]I hope life does return to something along the lines of what we have now.

dont expect to see me if it does then, i'll stay hidden in that case!
my guitar...got loads of strings...mouth organ.....cards..piles and piles of books on practical stuff draughts.. chess.... board games ...writing pads by the dozen pencils ....colour pencils paint sets ....will have to stop playing my drums though
I have thought about this and as a result we have about 20 board games, magic tricks, cards and card games. I am taking guitar lessons as is my oldest daughter and we have several song books.

Also story telling... not reading books but making up stories or telling tales of the past... think this will fill a lot of time... we al;so have 3 footballs, tennis, badminton etc. besides I think we will invent new things all the time.
Pages: 1 2 3