Survival UK Forums

Full Version: dont even TRY and travel tomorrow!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm hoping for snow too ..... and it is snowing here at the moment and it's sticking just need a lot more before I can use it for a "work at home" day
Still cant understand why they make such a big deal over a piddly bit of snow.
If it went sub arctic for weeks ... now theres a problem.
couldnt travel if i wanted too lol my clutch has just gone Sad damn french cars!
(17 January 2013, 22:42)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]couldnt travel if i wanted too lol my clutch has just gone Sad damn french cars!

I used to have a non french car where the clutch was slipping very bad for 3 years but it struggled on until I sold it to a scrap man as a runner with tax and MOT. It was a horrible old Astra diesel with a million and one things wrong with it. The head gasket went on the thing cylinder to outside world so no oil or coolant loss and it went 18 months and tens of thousands of miles before it got repaired.

I had some real gentleman's adventures in that thing.
Just watched the ten oclock news in yorkshire a charity is handing out survival packs to the elderly, didnt get to see the contents except a thinsulate thermal hat
(17 January 2013, 23:23)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Just watched the ten oclock news in yorkshire a charity is handing out survival packs to the elderly, didnt get to see the contents except a thinsulate thermal hat

And some kind of thermal pad apparently.
I know charities help people outjust found it odd they called it a survival bag
(17 January 2013, 23:33)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]I know charities help people outjust found it odd they called it a survival bag

All part of the general hyperbole, along with "red warnings", etc, over conditions that are not really that abnormal.

Last weekend, OH and myself took a hike over the local moors. We strayed a bit too far down a glen towards a river and got bogged down in, well, bog! There was a small isolated cottage nearby and as we were wandering about looking for a way through, an elderly chap came out and started beckoning us towards the dry path. We got chatting to him. Turns out he lives alone in the cottage. It has electrical power but that's all. Water comes from a spring and he burns peat and wood for fuel. There is no vehicle access. When he wants supplies, he walks along a rough path about half a mile to his nearest neighbour, who gives him a lift down to the village. He looked about 80.

Bet he doesn't need a survival pack!
(18 January 2013, 11:31)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]a small isolated cottage an elderly chap came out and started beckoning us towards the dry path. We got chatting to him. Turns out he lives alone in the cottage. It has electrical power but that's all. Water comes from a spring and he burns peat and wood for fuel. There is no vehicle access.

I've been looking for a place like that (in Devon) for years!Big Grin
most of the country under snow, yet I,m sat in bright winter sunshine and Blue skies in East Yorks, but there are clouds on the horizon.
Pages: 1 2 3