Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Getting unstuck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As there be snow coming some of you will undoubtedly come across someone who cant drive and has managed to get their vehicle stuck in the snow or on ice. One of the best ways of getting unstuck is to use cement powder. Chuck a load around the tyres and make a track with it to drive on, then off you go.
Also better than rock salt for paths etc as it gives much better grip.
Don't bother with cat litter, that's not much cop.
So when everyone else is panic buying rock salt and snow shovels bypass them and grab yourself some cement powder Smile
Me mams ex got stuck on two occasions first time he had to use a wooden spoon, 2nd time he had a collapsable shovel, doubt most people will learn there lesson so doubt many people will have tools/gear in there cars
We dont often get snow,.. but we do get a lot of ice storms, where everything gets covered in about an inch of ice,...far worse than snow,... about the only thing for the car is chains,... but I will remember your tip about the cement, thanks
If I get stuck, 3 things -

1. Put in 4wd - not so hot if all wheels are on ice, but if one axle can get grip, I am laughing.

2. Use the winch. Plenty of stuff in the built environment that you can attach to.

3. Get the shovel out.

I have used the foot mats when I had a 2wd car to get out of difficulty, put them on the ground in front of wheel carpet side down, roll car onto them / pull them under the wheel then let the car creep away at idle and keep it going to good road.
(17 January 2013, 23:06)BDG Wrote: [ -> ]I have used the foot mats when I had a 2wd car to get out of difficulty, put them on the ground in front of wheel carpet side down, roll car onto them / pull them under the wheel then let the car creep away at idle and keep it going to good road.

The rubber mats are quite handy too. Especially an old set. Punch a hole in the corner, tie some paracord to it, then to your car. Then when the car is going you don't need to stop the car to pick 'em up Smile
Build up the fire......good book........or surf on here.....get kettle on....STAY IN stupid !
Many years ago I once used a rope, tied it on the wheel in the same way as chains are fitted,...works well,... but practice doing it first
got some old bits of carpet in the back of the car to put under wheels when we get stuck.
I find that driving super fast really helps with taking sharp corners!!! HAHA, I'm kidding.....obviously! Although it does make for a more interesting drive.

Find an empty carpark and practice driving in a higher gear than needed.