Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Have you got a (guard) dog?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
BM,

I have no idea. However, people train dogs to go for the throat as well as the groin. I would guess it takes a lot of padding. Perhaps someone knows better?
I have a border collie who would most likely pee all over a burgler than anything else, she is very friendly but a bit on the scardy cat side lol on the plus side she looks a bit wolfish with her big blue eyes and shes not a typical black and white collie either
I own three German Shepherds.

I have been on German Shepherd forums for years, and this question about `would your dog guard`? you often comes up

The answers are roughly 60/50 ...60% say No.

this is my view....

Many of us have dogs that bark and go tearing down to the gate scareing the life out of people, I have two out of the three that do,..and no-one has ever just walked in yet,..... but would they guard in a serious way, I dont believe most dogs will

For years and years, we as humans have tried to control our dogs, we stop them barking at people, we tell them off for growling, and we tend to pull them back from other people

Dogs bark for many reasons, they bark when they are scared, and they bark when they are concerned or unsure, its called `fear aggression`... this is what most owners see, and assume that their dog would protect them,.... but many many times dogs have been tested in quiet real situations,..and very few dogs have had a go at the bad guy,... usualy the man with the big stick will have the dog back down fast,....after all that was the way they used to train dogs years ago, it was called `training through negitive means`

Out of my three, the only one who has ever nipped at a guy, was the one dog I have owned for five years, and I have never heard bark once,.. not ever

So, in my view, its always good to have them at your side, it will make most people back down,... but a real dog person would know that he would have a good chance dispite the dog

(22 January 2013, 13:28)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]BM,

I have no idea. However, people train dogs to go for the throat as well as the groin. I would guess it takes a lot of padding. Perhaps someone knows better?

SD,... I have known a lot of people who have tried to train a dog to attack, I dont know of any that have...it is a very hard thing to do,... this is why protection dogs cost so much, because it take specilised training to achieve results

Anyone who is interested in having a dog trained,... then I suggest this group of people,... these are probably the best people in the UK to own and train Shutzhound dogs in competion,... and protection dogs for the home

http://www.vislor.com/dog-trainers/pet-t...-hereford/

Take a look at some of the videos
(22 January 2013, 19:40)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I own three German Shepherds.

I have been on German Shepherd forums for years, and this question about `would your dog guard`? you often comes up

The answers are roughly 60/50 ...60% say No.

this is my view....

Many of us have dogs that bark and go tearing down to the gate scareing the life out of people, I have two out of the three that do,..and no-one has ever just walked in yet,..... but would they guard in a serious way, I dont believe most dogs will

For years and years, we as humans have tried to control our dogs, we stop them barking at people, we tell them off for growling, and we tend to pull them back from other people

Dogs bark for many reasons, they bark when they are scared, and they bark when they are concerned or unsure, its called `fear aggression`... this is what most owners see, and assume that their dog would protect them,.... but many many times dogs have been tested in quiet real situations,..and very few dogs have had a go at the bad guy,... usualy the man with the big stick will have the dog back down fast,....after all that was the way they used to train dogs years ago, it was called `training through negitive means`

Out of my three, the only one who has ever nipped at a guy, was the one dog I have owned for five years, and I have never heard bark once,.. not ever

So, in my view, its always good to have them at your side, it will make most people back down,... but a real dog person would know that he would have a good chance dispite the dog

(22 January 2013, 13:28)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]BM,

SD,... I have known a lot of people who have tried to train a dog to attack, I dont know of any that have...it is a very hard thing to do,... this is why protection dogs cost so much, because it take specilised training to achieve results

Anyone who is interested in having a dog trained,... then I suggest this group of people,... these are probably the best people in the UK to own and train Shutzhound dogs in competion,... and protection dogs for the home

http://www.vislor.com/dog-trainers/pet-t...-hereford/

Take a look at some of the videos

I would stress that our dog (a 70lb Border Collie) is a rescue and we do not know his background. However, he has successfully treed our farrier - we had to rescue the poor chap who was pretty shaken - and so I suspect that he is genuine in his intentions towards strangers. Having said that, once he is formally iWe ntroduced by either myself or OH he is fine - on our property - but will not let even friends past the gate.

We do not mind his aggressive instincts. Collies are very protective dogs and highly intelligent. Luckily we are able to keep him working at something, and I am not sure how boredom would manifest itself in his behaviour.
Collies are very territorial,..as are German Shepherd, all mine are also rescue dogs...of course I dont know your dog, but the aggression showed towards your farrier could still be `fear aggression`,..if in doubt bite, or in this case threaten... which is a different thing to defending you when you are attacked and he is safe

Boredom in a dog usually makes a dog a bit more hyper, they tend to get excited more, it often comes out in all things exaggerated,..i.e. tearing around the garden, in what humans often call their mad half hour,.. barking more, and often moaning or whining
like highlander i have a german shepherd however mine is only 14 months old but is starting her bite work training next weekend with the local IPO club which is a sport for german shepherds in obiedience tracking and protection

doh 14 weeks old !!!!!
Got 2 Whippets on their way! Not sure they'll guard anything, but they're coming rabbiting asap!!!
had a whippet as a child and she was very protective of us
(15 February 2013, 21:58)Shaysdad99 Wrote: [ -> ]like highlander i have a german shepherd however mine is only 14 months old but is starting her bite work training next weekend with the local IPO club which is a sport for german shepherds in obiedience tracking and protection

doh 14 weeks old !!!!!

Schzhound training is always a good move,.. nothing like training a dog properly, I would have done this if we had a club close enough, sadly the nearest to me is Perth.

good luck with it.
highlander your most likely on the other gsd forums that i am on , A have advantage that the pups dad is IPO trained and uk survey class 1 and her owner has competed and won at world championship level so hopefully she has a great chance of achieving some fine things :-)
Pages: 1 2 3