Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Mice!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just taken a trip into the shed to swap gas bottles & found a mouse in 1 of my traps.

On further inspection I've seen they have chewed through the hard plastic storage case I was using to store my large sacks of dog food & chewed through into both bags & into the food.

Rather than risk it, I've binned all the food & it's set me back for dog supplies for about 3 months worth of food. I'm now wondering (dreading) what else they may have chewed/pee'd all over.

Just thought I would post this to warn people who may also be storing food in a garden hut/shed. It might be a good idea to pop your head in & check.
(22 January 2013, 14:14)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]Just taken a trip into the shed to swap gas bottles & found a mouse in 1 of my traps.

On further inspection I've seen they have chewed through the hard plastic storage case I was using to store my large sacks of dog food & chewed through into both bags & into the food.

Rather than risk it, I've binned all the food & it's set me back for dog supplies for about 3 months worth of food. I'm now wondering (dreading) what else they may have chewed/pee'd all over.

Just thought I would post this to warn people who may also be storing food in a garden hut/shed. It might be a good idea to pop your head in & check.
what about using a metal bin or similar? plastic is no good for mice even worse if it was rat.
I honestly never thought a mouse would get that high where the box was stored. It must've been a crafty little bugger to get where it was (top shelf of metal racking). From now on, only none food items are being stored in there.
(22 January 2013, 14:25)Geordie_Rob Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly never thought a mouse would get that high where the box was stored. It must've been a crafty little bugger to get where it was (top shelf of metal racking). From now on, only none food items are being stored in there.

yep, we had a mouse in the larder, thankfully it only got as far as the bottom shelf where we store glass bottles and such, have now sealed up the hole it came through.
I've eliminated the food source now so hopefully there are no more of the little beggars, or if there is, then hopefully they will bugger off elsewhere.

As for finding & fixing the hole, it'll have to wait until the weather improves as I'm not pulling all my gardening machinery out in this weather.
I hope you disposed of it usefully, even if it was in a composter rather than a bin which I think is what you said.
Ill be honest, I never considered composting it. Ill take the sacks out the bin & get them dug/mixed into the heap once the snow thaws.
New weapons in my arsenal. Literally Smile

2 x .177 air pistols & glue paper to catch the buggers. I thought actually dispatching them myself will also be useful for de-sensitising myself for killing small furry things as I'm still a bit of a girl when it comes to that (apologies to any girls who may get offended. It was meant as a joke).

Fingers crossed I can do away with them asap.