Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Guide to Veterinary Drugs for Human Consumption, Post-SHTF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In times of uncertainty, we humans like to stockpile and hoard. We seek information that will keep us safe and provide for our well-being. One of these topics will invariably center around medical knowledge or first-aid in case of an accident, sickness, or injury. Many of us already have a well-rounded medical kit, or basic skills in how to treat traumatic injuries. But one question I see and hear a lot of people talk about is medicine, and their lack of concrete, factual information when it comes to antibiotics – and specifically, whether it is safe to use animal antibiotics in humans.

Many other questions typically revolve around,

“Where can I find prescription-quality medicines?”

“My doctor won’t prescribe me common antibiotics for long-term disasters or bugging out.”

“What medicines should I stockpile?”

http://www.truthistreason.net/guide-to-v...-post-shtf

Penicillin

Penicillin is an antibiotic in the penicillin group of drugs. It fights bacteria in your body.

Penicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, urinary tract infections, septicemia, meningitis, intra-abdominal infection, gonorrhea, syphilis, pneumonia, respiratory infections, ear, nose and throat infections, skin and soft tissue infections.

More information can be found here, including side effects, allergic reactions, etc.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Pen and 500mg Fish Pen Forte

Amoxicillin

A penicillin antibiotic. It fights bacteria in your body.

Amoxicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and E. coli or salmonella infection.

More information can be found here, including side effects, allergic reactions, etc.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Mox (for children) and 500mg Fish Mox Forte (for adults).

Ciprofloxacin, or Cipro

Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones. It is used as a potent, broad-spectrum antibiotic to fight bacteria in the body.

It may also be used to prevent or slow anthrax after exposure.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 500mg Fish Flox Forte

Cephalexin, or Keflex

Cephalexin is in a group of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics. Keflex fights bacteria in the body.

Keflex is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections, ear infections, skin infections, urinary tract infections, tooth and mouth infections.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 250mg Fish Flex and 500mg Fish Flex Forte

Doxycycline

Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic. It fights bacteria in the body. It may be substituted in place of penicillin to treat common infections in those people who are allergic to that particular drug.

Doxycycline is used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as urinary tract infections, acne, gonorrhea, and chlamydia, Lyme disease or tick bite infections, anthrax infections, cholera, periodontitis (gum disease), and others.

Exercise caution with expired Doxycycline / tetracycline and -cycline medications. There has been some documentation of liver damage and some have even labeled it toxic if used past the expiration date. However, Doxycycline provides a great alternative to penicillin medications for those who are allergic.

Veterinarian Equivalent: 100mg Bird Biotic

http://www.truthistreason.net/guide-to-v...-post-shtf
Has anyone come across a list of human meds that are safe for pets? If such a thing exists
Just out of interest, Doxycycline is prescribed as a malaria prophylactic by travel clinics. I had some last time I went to Botswana. So, if you want to stockpile some Doxycycline, feign a trip to the tropics and visit your local travel clinic.

I knew it was an antibiotic, but I didn't realise it could be substituted so readily for penicillin. Interesting point about the expiry dates though.
(27 January 2013, 17:15)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone come across a list of human meds that are safe for pets? If such a thing exists

I think that most vets would be dead against the idea,... but many human medication can be used in smaller quantities,... but to be safe I would either google it, or visit a dog forum and ask, I know the question has come up before on a German Shepherd forum I used to visit, but I honestly cant remember the answers