Survival UK Forums

Full Version: LETS CLEAR THE AIR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As like most people here. i stumbled on this site as a visitor.fed up of american sites only for the fact they did not seem relative for us here in the UK. Al though i did learn alot and still do, this site was set up for us here in the UK by people of the UK. This is the first and only site i have joined, mainly because of the existing members and their vast knowledge, i have learned much and continue to gain more every week. A common purpose for all no matter what walk of life you hail from, there are many levels on this site from beginners right up to the well established survivalists/preppers and a good mix in-between, all sharing information so we can all benefit from one another.

For the established member there are some pressures , when continually posting because its expected of you,you feel obliged in fact this is true, we expect it of members who we hold in high regard and read every post you deliver, you have an audience waiting to give you a 5 star rating " great post " we all love that we all want to be loved, but there lies the danger.. because you think that your view is the only relevant one ...if you viewpoint / argument is strong enough common sense will prevail and will win the day. There is really no need for sarcastic remarks or disrespect of an opposing view of other members ( message to self here) instead of help and support, detraction is the result..in short...no value is gained by anyone....animosity is the only winner here ....the member you looked up to...you now look down on..THIS IS NO GOOD AT ALL when you consider why we all joined up here, the purpose and conception of this site..i believe...was for the help and support of ALL members (and visitors) to progress to a higher level of knowledge and preparation.

I am sure this site will evolve on its own, in a direction that may not suite all, but thats the way of things and a natural progression will follow, not because of an individual... but because of the participation of ALL...there are some like me who take alot but don,t give that much in return, thats only because i am learning just like most of you , if i feel i can add something of use i will, it could be information or just my view as i see things.... its not done to antagonize anyone ( you would not think so of late ) its done for you to at least take a look at my view as i see it ....i can be as wrong or right as anyone else..thats all it is ,......SO..to those of you whom i have offended my sincere apologies are given here...the way forwards for me at least is to listen and learn more... "if i can,t say anything constructive or add anything of use ...i will say nothing at all... that said....i would encourage ALL new and old members to post and have your say...your views have the right to be heard just as anyone else,s...we all started somewhere...this and this alone makes this site the best there is.......Straight shooter
So long as no one personally attacks me on here, They are free to have their own views as I am mine. I am a newbie and have so much to learn and this is the longest I have stayed on a forum, I hate it when folk get aggressive on here, Like you said, this forum is to help and not to humiliate. Smile
i may not agree with what another might say but i RESPECT their right to say it!!Big Grin
That is the only real rule on here. Don't attack people personally. However, some arguements do start to get a bit heated.

People do have their favs but what is good for one isn't for another and many of us, myself included like to push subjects that we believe in. This gives us the opportunity to learn but when something is not useful for yourself our nature is to belittle it. I've learnt a lot on here myself and I know quite a few have as well so it is doing its job.

Hope while I'm busy things don't get out of hand in any posts.
(1 February 2013, 17:03)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Hope while I'm busy things don't get out of hand in any posts.

dont worry SD, i'm sure we'll get along just fine.
Just my thoughts on the subject...and just mine alone... no personal insults meant at all.... just my musings...

I think whether we see each other in physical person via meets or not doesn't matter, whether we attend meetings or not that doesn't matter for me anyway, it doesn't make anyone here less of a prepper because they cant/wont meet up with others.

People have time, money, work or other family constraints so that for everybody meets and greets may not be an option, it would be nice to get together I suppose but with everybody having so many different jobs, responsibilities, this is a hard thing to do, sometimes people can bang on about "you should make the time" but for some this isn't an option so maybe ease off on members who don't/won't attend gatherings as that for me smacks of elitism or the "your not a serious prepper because you wont meet up".

I definitely agree there about the treatment of others though, if you don't agree with somebody's post you have the right to disagree but it should be in a respectful way, sniping to be excluded as it serves no useful purpose, that's something I have been guilty of in the past so that's something I can learn not to do as well.

Family sometimes can't see one another in person and has to make do with letters or email etc...
and for me that's what this site is like a weird and wonderful family of people who may well disagree as well as agree on certain subjects that they all like and feel passionate about.

We are all human after all with our own individual likes and dislikes but I think our likes and dislikes should remain that OUR likes and dislikes.

If we like the same thing as others, fine lets have a chat about it and give advice if asked for and we can give it.

Theres nothing wrong with having a laugh as well as long as its not at somebody's personal expense.

I frequently am guilty of not being able to give advise for a question because there's been that many reply's with decent answers, its all been said, so I'll make a joke instead hopefully not at the questioners expense.

I'd like to think that we can all be grown up enough to respect each others feelings,views and not be nasty in our reply's, because truly if you don't like a post, stop reading it, that's in your power, no body is making you read in less reply in a nasty way.

Thats childish schoolyard stuff we should have all left behind long ago.
I have been on a lot of forums over the years, and I have seen this kind of post many time,... nothing against you SS,... but I can never understand why this kind of post is made in the first place.

If a thread was on-going that two people felt strongly about, and that thread become heated,.. thats fine, strong views are always welcome,.. but if one of the two strong views was to attack the other,..personaly I think that the other fella should simply end his involvement in the thread,... if someone offended me in a thread,... I would feel `so what, I have given my points if he doesnt agree and attacks, then I will leave him to it`,... there is no point in continueing, you simply will not get anywhere by arguing more

If you wanted to take it further, then you could report the post

I am saying this,... but I have no idea where this is has come from anyway
For me im a newbie here and i spend most my time reading the vast amount of information on this forum and learning from it,To all the forum members thank you for the information
Well personally I love a good argument. People get carried away occasionally, me included, but thats fine. We're all adults. Its hard to tell over the internet how people intend their message to come across, so wires can get crossed.

At least you dont get banned here for disagreeing with anyone Wink
(1 February 2013, 20:55)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Well personally I love a good argument. People get carried away occasionally, me included, but thats fine. We're all adults. Its hard to tell over the internet how people intend their message to come across, so wires can get crossed.

Shud-up-foooooool [Mr T Style Hardcoreness!!!!]

I think people are more than welcome to rant and rave. I've had many a word with BDG about precious metals, and still maintain complete respect for him (actually, more respect for his researching the subjects and his depth of knowledge). I have been caught up on the funny end of BarnBoy's comments on numerous occasions, and still have the same amount of respect for him (none! haha, I'm joking mate). But if people want to make it into personal attacks.....by all means. They'll probably get banned for having a lack of emotional maturity. SD isn't in the habit of banning people, and I don't think it fair that we put loads of pressure on him to sit here all day and ban people or their comments (he has much better stuff to do with his time....probably). But at the end of the day, if you're going to be that immature, then a banning could be on the cards. Oh yes, you do ONLY have yourself to blame.

Let's just be fair. I'm not racist, sexist, or anything like that. I hate all people equally (that's another joke). So, instead of having a go at people, let's be constructive, or be quiet.

p.s. if something is a joke, it helps if you write 'joke'. At least that way you don't offend other people.
p.p.s. We're not all adults. Some of us are just pretending to be adults. We're kids in disguise (JOKE)
p.p.p.s. It's too early for a completely heartfelt comment, but if people are going to be idiots and make a discussion on 'knives being better than axes' into a personal attack, than they're seriously some kind of societal leech and shouldn't have access to the internet in the first place.
p.p.p.p.s. Somethings can't be proved, only posted on what evidence is available. To make that into a personal attack just shows an inability to stay on subject (and a lack of being able to explain yourself properly so that the other person can see where you're coming from, whether they agree or not). Further to this, just because we totally disagree on something, it doesn't mean we can't just use the words "I get where you're coming from. I don't agree with you, but can understand why you'd think that." Those words are often a good way to silence an argument. Every time I've used them, it's been honest and heartfelt. If you can't see from another's point of view, then that shows a total lack of emotional intelligence and social maturity!!! Work out your own emotional issues off forum, if you fall into this category of people.
p.p.p.p.p.s. From the looks of my last p.s. I may be waking up properly.
Pages: 1 2