Survival UK Forums

Full Version: The BOV AFTER you have bugged out.(v2)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The BOV AFTER you have bugged out.(v2)
© 2011Northern Raider

So the world as we know it ends and society falls apart, you and your family have used the BOV to get to your retreat or place of safety the immediate aftermath is over and you are still alive. So what now for the vehicle that got you to your place of safety?

I suggest that in the immediate aftermath of a disaster or crisis affecting us the world is very likely to be a VERY dangerous place. You could find various factions of your government vying to retake control of what is left of your country, you could find surviving military and police units operating alone trying to take control over a given region. You could well find foreign troops with bad intentions as equally as you may find foreign troops trying to help restore order.
You may find local politicians trying to set up personal fiefdoms or even the local chapter of bad ass bikers trying to become the new Mongol Hordes. Let’s not forget religious organised nut jobs persuading their followers to take control of everything in the name of God or Satan.

Gun nuts, Militias, Paramils, Terrorists, Teen gangs, Herds of displaced refugees, Armed veterans, Not so friendly survivalists, Neighbours from surrounding communities who’s supplies are depleted or lost. Heck you name it and chances are they are going to be out there looking for places just like YOURS.

OK let’s not get into the Rambo mentality, YES you may be able to use your lovingly crafted fully accessorised AR15 or Stainless Mossberg 500 ATP to deal with the odd one or two undesirables, BUT in no way are 99% of us capable of sustaining an armed resistance for any length of time, especially as most of us operate in no more than an IMMEDIATE FAMILY sized unit.

REAL TIME INTELIGENCE is what is going to be just as useful to you as your AR15.
A quality radio scanner with a top quality aerial (concealed) will help you listen in to anyone else in your area using radios like CBs, Amateur rigs, Military unencrypted rigs, Police rigs etc. Even if you cannot crack any encryption they use the radio traffic will at least let you know they are out there and then you can lay low or move out.

BUT what both you and I know is what we REALLY need is first hand real time intelligence and unless you have a Drone UAV to play with the only sensible way to gather intelligence is to recce and patrol your area.

The greater the distance you can cover in the shortest time will give you the most info about any approaching threat to your family. Foot patrols for most civilians are only ever going to be in the very close range radius of one or two miles from your retreat. That really does not give you much time to react if a column of bad guys is detected only a few miles from where your family are sheltered.

You NEED to patrol further out to maximise the LEAD TIME you have between you detecting the bad guys and them finding your retreat. This is where your BOV could find its second life.

A small well fitted out lightweight vehicle like a small 4x4 (Jimny, Rav 4,Fourtrak, Vitara, Pinin, 90 inch Landy, CJ Jeep, etc) will allow TWO or THREE people from your group to range a fair distance with enough kit and supplies to patrol a good size area and remain self-sufficient for many days (no need to seek water, fuel or food).

A Motorcycle, Pony or Mountain bike will work for ONE person patrols but the extra eyes and ears of a multi crewed vehicle will ensure better observations and allow everyone to get some quality rest whilst their colleagues stand guard.
The world’s military have long since realised the benefits of sending out recon or recce teams with multiple men long ago, it’s a lesson we should try to adopt.

A small rugged 4x4 or even a dune buggy type 4x2 with extra fuel, water, winch, tools, sand or mud mats etc fitted with a decent set of dual purpose tyres will make a half decent scout vehicle for prepper families. Variations such as type of engine, uprated suspension, external luggage racks, bull bars etc are down to personal budget and choice. My own personal choice is always a diesel engine for reliability and lower risk from fire, but it’s each to their own.

During the Cold War in Europe and in the former Yugoslavia many main stream military units used wheeled or tracked armoured recce vehicles to spy on the Soviets or Serbian forces, but equally many of their recce units used small civilian 4x4s, civilian Land Rovers, Mercedes Geland’s, Peugeot P4, Suzuki Rhinos and UMM’s and even on occasion LSVs (militarised buggies) to get to inaccessible places.

These smaller low profile vehicles were nearly as capable as their bigger relatives but they were much easier to get down small cycle paths, donkey tracks, footpaths, bridle ways and goat tracks, and FAR easier to camouflage. Using civilian vehicles gives the added advantage in a PA world because they can so easily be hidden in among abandoned vehicles along the roadside. Being smaller they are easier to conceal when laying up and of course it’s easier to source spare parts from civilian vehicles suppliers if your BOV is based on a popular model.

A final pointer is also that if after many months in your retreat or shelter you decide to move to another location (better security, better resources) with your family having a still functioning vehicle will make the move that much easier.

Perhaps when you are next considering what sort of vehicles you need to suit your needs as a prepper you will give just a little thought to the issue of intelligence gathering after TSHTF and how you’re BOV may be able to help.
I was in the recce platoon in the Army for quiet some time,..so I am well aware of the advantage to getting out there and finding out what is going on,.. but be careful,...personaly knowing my area..[ and you will need to know your area before TSHTF like the back of your hand ] I would like to go out on foot with one of my dogs,...if you have a well behaved dog who you can keep it quiet, it will be a great advantage, its ears and nose will be worth a lot to you

If I wanted to go further, then I will go by Quad bike, no louder than a average 4x4,.. lower profile, very quick and good on fuel,... and two wheel drive Quads will go most places a 4x4 car will go

...but it cant be said often enough,.. recces must be taken seriously it is a very dangerous thing to do if you know little about covert movements,... if you are in a group, see if there is an ex-soldier/gamekeeper/ someone who has some knowledge
For most of us this won't work. You need a reasonable sized force to maintain a watch 24/7 with 360 degree cover. Most of us are better off setting traps, defensive areas like brambles and deadfall. Things with plenty of noise and keeping your heads down as much as you can.

Even if you have a UAV you can't get the airtime necessary. Downtime on aircraft is unbelievable. They will require refueling, repaired and will be audible for miles bringing the bad guys to you. imo a UAV is best suited for when you are being attacked or you are attacking and want RT information on your enemy.
(2 February 2013, 18:27)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]For most of us this won't work. You need a reasonable sized force to maintain a watch 24/7 with 360 degree cover. Most of us are better off setting traps, defensive areas like brambles and deadfall. Things with plenty of noise and keeping your heads down as much as you can.

this is what i'm aiming at, traps, alarmed and non alarmed trip wires, deadfalls and the like. have now found a supplier for alarms-bought one today to check it out, seems ok, will be going back and getting some more!
(2 February 2013, 18:27)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]For most of us this won't work. You need a reasonable sized force to maintain a watch 24/7 with 360 degree cover.

Palmslaps forehead in frustration Smile SD Battery powered multi zone PIR detector alarms are your friend, and only about £30 last time I checked, orginally designed for stand alone use in garages , greenhouses and sheds etc, but reasonably effective at covering your ass in the dead of night ( and it will take a lot to provide total coverage of YOUR ass Smile )

(2 February 2013, 18:34)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 February 2013, 18:27)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]For most of us this won't work. You need a reasonable sized force to maintain a watch 24/7 with 360 degree cover. Most of us are better off setting traps, defensive areas like brambles and deadfall. Things with plenty of noise and keeping your heads down as much as you can.

this is what i'm aiming at, traps, alarmed and non alarmed trip wires, deadfalls and the like. have now found a supplier for alarms-bought one today to check it out, seems ok, will be going back and getting some more!

Party poppers and gardening twine.
(2 February 2013, 18:50)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 February 2013, 18:34)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]this is what i'm aiming at, traps, alarmed and non alarmed trip wires, deadfalls and the like. have now found a supplier for alarms-bought one today to check it out, seems ok, will be going back and getting some more!

Party poppers and gardening twine.

more like personal attack alarms and yo-yo fishing reels!!Big Grin
NR,

Go them in my preps already.

I'm talking long term though. In the short term we will all be healthy and running on adrenalin but after a while the batteries will go flat, people will be falling asleep and after a few months with no action people we become complacent.
(2 February 2013, 19:27)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]NR,

Go them in my preps already.

I'm talking long term though. In the short term we will all be healthy and running on adrenalin but after a while the batteries will go flat, people will be falling asleep and after a few months with no action people we become complacent.

Then my illustrious leader if they get unlucky and complacent they will be dead, Those of us with not enough people to sustain security levels until the violence subsides have to start becoming Meerkat preppers , IE when darkness fall retiring to a fairly secure location with only one or two entries / exits, put the available mechanical / human security available into covering the single entry and blend it with pretty good cammoflage if possible. Work out during the day, retreat underground at night if neccessary.
(2 February 2013, 20:36)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]when darkness fall retiring to a fairly secure location with only one or two entries / exits, put the available mechanical / human security available into covering the single entry and blend it with pretty good cammoflage if possible. Work out during the day, retreat underground at night if neccessary.

sounds about rightBig Grin
Pages: 1 2