Survival UK Forums

Full Version: newb looking for some air rifle advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
PF

Sorry for hijacking your thread. please forgive me.

NR,

Thanks for the appraisal. It'll be used from BOL to take game on adjacent field, and pest control within the building.
no need to apologise Digger, I had a question, folks answered it then you had a similar question, you didn't hijack anything Smile
(8 February 2013, 14:03)Digger Wrote: [ -> ]and pest control within the building.

Shortest barreled carbine you can get then
NR
......Now you're going to get me in trouble with OH..... no sooner than I settle on one gun, and I'll be looking to spend cash on a second one straight away! This will be an interesting discussion.
Erm if you have an OH then she needs to be comfortable using the rifle as well, I think the undelever will be to heavy for many ladyfolk.
You need a break barrel no more than 6.5 pound in weight for it to be comfortable, 7lb at a push. Dont worry before you buy one we wil persuade you to buy a compound bow instead Smile

Plenty of reviews and suggestions in the shunting and hooting section for weaponry from air rifles, cross bows and archery kit.
OH grew up in a household with guns around. She'll happily use one, but will chastise me for yet another of my simple solutions that becomes multifaceted and costly.
Ideally both of you need air rifles and both need bows as well double the security double the food production chances.
Problem is how much money to invest now in order to be safe in the future. There's an argument in my mind for purchasing two identical lesser models that will be just good enough, spare springs and seals will then be interchangeable giving us greatest possible longevity.

Question: I'm thinking best bet will be to stick with open sights, as that's what I have most experience with. But TS are very attractively priced now. Maybe the way to go is with TS and switch back to open sights as and when the telescopics get damaged.

Bows: I'm starting to look at XB solutions for long term needs as I understand they are easier to master. Not ready to purchase at the moment though, money has to be earned, you know, and that takes time. For sure I'll have lots of questions about these when the time comes.
A How much is your family worth ? Aye you bloody know the answer Smile
B I try to fit P rail to my air rifles so I can fit a shorty scope to the rail and keep or add open iron sights as well.
C We recently discussed X bows and archery in great depth on the forum its worth reading, Crossbows can be kept cocked for hours but are a bastard to reload quickly really powereful beasties like prepper artilary, but SD discovered and I explored further the use of 25 pound draw budget compound bows ( Barnett Banshee quads) and we both invested in them cos they were just oh so easy to master. Wet & Cold carried out seperate tests on the same bow and found them to be very good. Plenty of our community now have an air rifle for vermin control and small game hunting and a bow for security and large scale critter hunting ( after TSHTF)

Dont forget you can mount an accurate laser to a good air rifle now which makes life much easier, but never go without back up iron sights.
You're right. When needed, the value is priceless. Until then, the value has to be pre- agreed with QMS! Its a dilemma.

I'll look at the bows and XB threads soon to see what you guys have published.

The other advantage of Iron ( open) sights is that you still can see what's going on around the target and this I find useful. With its limited range, a TS cannot be major advantage on a hunting air rifle.
Pages: 1 2 3 4