Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Trapping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Highlander,

The 4 equal length sticks are pushed into the silt/mud of of a shallow area so the tops are above water in a rough square shape will enough room for the rock to fall in the middle.

The line is then tied round the rock with the baited hook on the other end. The idea is then to balance the rock on top so that when a water bird/duck comes along it takes the bait and hooks itself.

As the bird swims away it dislodges the rock which then falls between the sticks trapping the bird. The great thing about this is that if you've got the line short enough it'll pull the birds head under drowning it quickly therefor making making minimal noise and disturbance in the process.

Is that a good enough description. I know it works well and was often used in my part of the world years ago by so called poachers as its so quiet.
Yes, Megatron,... I understand that, thank you,...I can easily see who that works
Here is another one, a good dead fall, depending on how big the whole trap is

Its always difficult to explain how traps work, so I have drawn it, the key to holding up the rock is the twist of the short toggle colored in [ yellow ]

[Image: Image1-3_zpsaf73a361.jpg]

...you have to hold the toggle in place with the bait stick, if the [ black ] bait stick is touching the [green ] forked stick it should hold....

The bait stick also touches the rock if possible, although it doesn't have to, but I find that if the animal is reaching up when its triggered, he has less time to react when he springs it

[Image: Image2_zpscc4a8a38.jpg]

it doesn't take a lot to spring this one, its really meant for small prey like birds or mice,... but it could also work well on larger prey if the parts are big enough
[attachment=168]

these are some diagrams of fish traps I have used with success in the past. They are easy to make and use and will catch fish. the hollow log trap i've caught carp and catfish. the cone trap and square trap catch all the sunfish, bluegill, minnows you want. the square trap is used by dropping about 4" / 9 cm into the water, let the fish swim over it, then bring it up. the other traps you set it and then go do something else, like setting/checking other traps.

keep in mind trapping, like hunting, is hit or miss. there will be good days and bad. set as many traps as possible. when you catch fish, save the guts to use for bait in the next trap.[attachment=169][attachment=170]
Thanks a lot Rush,... I need to go and try at least two of those
good luck Highlander! one thing i forgot to mention regarding the hollow log trap is sometimes a snake may find its way in there, so when i bring it up i point the opening away from me.

BTW: i like your signature line. invisibility is our plan, at least til the dust settles.
(21 March 2013, 23:26)Rush2112 Wrote: [ -> ]good luck Highlander! one thing i forgot to mention regarding the hollow log trap is sometimes a snake may find its way in there, so when i bring it up i point the opening away from me.

BTW: i like your signature line. invisibility is our plan, at least til the dust settles.

Well thankfully we don't have the snake problem in this country, the worst that could happen would be to find a Eel in there, they bite
the pdf file are some more sample trap set ups and a diagram of a box trap.

make snares out of wire when possible. Has to be reasonable thickness for the game you are seeking.use heavier wire for anything bigger than rabbit-size game. i highly recommend buying professional snares for larger game. they last a long time.

the idea is to hold the animal without killing it. so be aware of the tension on the line, too much and you'll whip the animal off the ground snapping its neck or maybe ripping the head off. for example, if its warm outside and you set the traps in the evening and catch something soon but dont come back for 10 hours to check your traps, that meat is probably spoiled.

you dont have to use a spring pole, can use a stake in the ground, or just tie to a tree, rock, etc. especially on a animal path or right outside its den/burrow.

tips: try to use live tree saplings instead of cut sticks for the spring pole. sticks may have lots of tension at first, but after being held in the same position for some time the tension drops dramatically, especially in cold weather. try to disguise the snare using twigs, leaves, etc. animals do not want to put their head in a noose. use whatever bait you have available. my favorite all purpose bait is bread/crackers/cereal with a little olive oil and sugar. have used tuna fish, but seems the animals arent interested until its sat out for a few days and is really rotten.

i know most people have zero experience with trapping, but dont be intimidated. even if trapping is illegal in your area, you can go try it in the woods, just set it, try it with a stuffed animal or something, then take it all apart. no harm done. trapping is much more effective than hunting. the traps work for you around the clock. burns a whole lot less calories walking around looking for game. - just ask Wildman, in one of his posts he describes setting a few traps, then setting up camp, and when they were done had a couple rabbits already caught.
the traps were working for him while he did other work.
Thanks Rush,.. that PDF file is good,..and easily read
good PDF thanks Rush
Pages: 1 2 3