Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Cant Find Suitable BOL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have tried and tried and just cant find anywhere suitable that i think will secure as a BUG OUT LOCATION looks like my BOV will be my mobile BOLConfused
Bamburgh Castle!!!!!
Too obvious looked at castles etc now looking at remote holiday cottages etc
(16 February 2013, 15:41)Shaysdad99 Wrote: [ -> ]now looking at remote holiday cottages etc

your getting the idea!Big GrinBig Grin dont limit yourself to obvious "houses", think outside the box, barns,dairies, anything unused, or something thats only used a few months of the year, small caravan sites, or bits of land with an old caravan on it, quarries etc.
having fun with google earth found some nice hiding spotsBig Grin
What are you looking for in a BOL ? a house? a hole in the ground ?
I would like somewhere I could store food supplies etc but security of the location is a big concern
i'm in the same boat m8. i had the perfect bol, it had everything but pine (life line to any survivalist) so i'm looking for another. an urban bol imo is a waist of time as every good place will a-b found by someone else, or council reclaim ect. and b should tshtf there will b countless bol's to choose from in all the chaos. in an urban area, imo. trie and have hides/secret stores and simi permanent bo-camps, where u can practice your skills, clear your mind (most important) and store gear (underground). as for in the country, unfortunatly, humans have built on most of the good land and have only left small woods, usually set deep in the centre of a medow or at the bottom of a ravine. now this looks gr8 for any one looking for a place to b hidden and to survive. cold sinks. so in short 60% if not more of the places that look good will b hell if one was to spend a winter with their family in one as i've realised this past cold season. so finding a bol that has the following is of up most importance (in the country) must b well hidden and un known to the public-have fresh running water-have enough deadfall to sustain a healthy fire through the winter. (has to be deadfall or you'll have no cover left come spring lol) isnt set deep in the ground or surrounded by hills (unless u have the sustainable kit to cope with minus temps) and have some natural food source near by. this could be barren farm field that u borrow a small patch of, or a river that has enough food in ect. its not easy to find the perfect bol
I have found it extreamly difficult IF ( you want to prepare it before hand ) that is...even if your lucky enough to find a place, you have to prep it in total secret.....doable...but...very hard to do this would be a little easier if its to become YOUR HOME...which i favour the most...but most will be looking for a quick last resort to sustain them and theirs,which will limit things you can take with you in your BOV...and then you could fix up as you go along...more pressure alot faster..growing and hunting straight off again this is very doable, so look for that place or places the later may well be what we all end up doing, it might mean a few times till we get it right have your backup plans.. and a backup for them aswell
As was said don't just consider the obvious stuff but look furter afaild. Do you live near a river or canal, what about a boat. Small industrial estate has several places you could move too. Many firms have offices just outside towns in the countryside. Large farms have barns and many farmers won't have the manpower to use all their land. In town what about schools, leisure centres. Avoid medical centres and shops as they will be targetted for scavanging.

I would guess that there are a few places that would be of use but for those that have considered everything then you need to look further afield and fuel up for that.
I'm in the same boat like that. My bols not in use so to say but major changes would be noticed as maintenance goes on now on a regular basis by a utility company so I cant really sort it now.

Post shtf no maintenance so that's ok.

This year I'm planting a few crops near it, to see if they grow, testing soil conditions.

Its far enough away from civilization so as not to be visited post shtf, but close enough for sorties for supplies or materials.

It is a nightmare trying to source a bol, well a perfect one anyway.
Theres always compromises to be made...