Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Prometheus air gun pellets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Give yourself the edge.

http://www.airgunpellets.com/
That's great to be honest, I've never come across a pellet similar to these and I bet the impact on vermin is radically different!

Thank you
I have bookmarked these,... might well go for 500
I got Prometheus pellets years ago when I still had my Webley Vulcan Carbine as my only defensive tool, If I remember correctly the Prometheus pellets penetrated between 20 mm and 28 mm deep into a piece of pork with skin still attached than pure lead pellets.

Which if your target is large or perhaps two legged it may make that much needed difference.

Whoops got that wrong, found the original note book it was 18 to 26 mm deeper not as I stated.
i dont use these, was told at gun club that they foul the barrel and you have to clean it more often, i use Defiant pellets.
The defiants are another very nice zero lead content precision round, vastly superior to the run of the mill chinese or eastern european lead pellet, very consistant in size and weight.
Piledrivers thats my ting.
Just a further snippet about the prometheus and defiants.

Wifey accidentally forgot to cook a lump of pork ( I wanted crackling) and it was left out to long so I took advantage of the lump of meant. Its a chunk of pig still covered in skin, I think it should have a similar density to human tissue.

I took the lump of pork and put a piece of cotton cloth over it to simulate a cotton shirt, then I added a piece of fleece and topped that with a piece of poly cotton cloth from an old pair of trousers to represent a dressed person. I fired two rounds of Bulldog ammo, then two Bisley Magnum ammo, then two 5.5 defiants, then two prometheus . All penentrated fully but the Bulldog ammo did not pass right through the test target. the other three test ammos did. Its was unscientific as the meat was not really thick enough to stop the ammo so I could not measure full penetration, but looking at the lump of 1/2 inch marine grade ply behind the meat I would say the heavier Bisley Magnums and the Prometheus put the deepest dents into the wood by about 3 mm.
Just taken delivery of 1000 of these.
Had to order more as I got through 100 plinking in the garden in an afternoon.

Got 1000 Air Arms Diablo Hunters too, but I've not given those a go yet. They did have good reviews though, so I'm hopeful.
I remember Prometheus pellets from way back when i was about 16. (25 years ago) and at the time you could buy them ready made or put the two parts together yourself and save a bit of money.
The best (Most destructive) pellet i ever shot were called Nato Bullets and were an alloy pellet.
They would go straight through an old galvanized steel dust bin and lodge in the other side. Then we used to knock them out with a hammer and use them again over and over again.
I still have a few in a tin some where.

Back on topic, Prometheus are ok but the plastic will clog your rifling up over time.
I do have some in the cupboard but i always reach for the bisley mags when i go shooting.