Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Six underground tanks of radio active liquid leaking in US
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
saw this on the lunchtime news, stuff escaping from the top of the tanks, i hate nuclear, never did trust it, this just makes me hate it even more.i'd rather they covered the countryside in wind turbines and solar farms than have even ONE new nuclear power plant.
are these the same tanks they said would never leak?
(23 February 2013, 14:14)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]are these the same tanks they said would never leak?

"allegedly"!!Big GrinBig Grin
(23 February 2013, 14:14)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]are these the same tanks they said would never leak?

Yes, they don't leak if put in a copper-rich soil, unluckily Washington State is mostly silica-rich.

Seems someone mucked up big time there as-

1. waste is sealed in glass, so it doesn't leak.
2. the barrels are sealed in concrete cases, again to stop this.

From what I've heard, the barrels were just closed up and chucked down a hole. No wonder they broke.

Also the record keepings abysmal as they don't know what barrels are leaking (is it the nasty HLW-plutonium scraps or the mild LLW - gloves from handling things)

Somebody's going to jail over all this, methinks.

Luckily over here they're a lot better at this since Windscale, and all the rules that came in after that.