Survival UK Forums

Full Version: the clock ticks forward yet again ever closer to zero hour...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another sign that the end is nigh?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...rates.html

Plight of savers could get even worse as Bank of England considers NEGATIVE interest rates

Deputy governor Paul Tucker says Bank has discussed radical move
High street lenders would have to pay the central bank to hold their money
Move could wipe out savings rates and inflation would ravage deposits

Negative interest rates should be considered as an option to encourage banks to lend to small and medium-sized firms, the Bank of England’s deputy governor for financial stability said today.

Paul Tucker said the dramatic move had been discussed at this month’s rate-setting meeting as an option to help fuel economic growth.

Such a move would spell catastrophe for cash-strapped savers, who have already been crippled by rock bottom rates since the Bank of England dramatically cut the base rate to its record low of 0.5 per cent in March 2009.

Cutting it further to below zero would effectively mean depositors, such as high street lenders, would have to pay the central bank to hold their money.

The hope would be that banks would therefore choose to lend out more of their funds to small businesses rather than stockpiling it at their expense.

But the base rate is also used by high street banks to set their own interest rates for customers.

There are currently just three savings accounts offering interest rates that beat the current 2.7 per cent rate of inflation: one offers 2.8 per cent, one is disappearing from the market within days and the third is available to a very restricted geography.

A negative base rate would likely see savings rates plunge even further, resulting in prudent savers’ nest eggs being eaten away at an even faster rate.

Speaking to MPs on the Treasury Committee, Mr Tucker said: 'This would be an extraordinary thing to do and it needs to be thought through carefully.

'I hope we will think about whether there are constraints to setting negative interest rates.’

He also suggested more bond-buying through the quantitative easing scheme was on the cards and added that the pound may need to weaken more - a comment that pushed sterling to near 2.5-year lows against the dollar.

Banks cut interest rates to make saving less attractive and borrowing more attractive, which in turn stimulates spending to boost economic growth.

However, with the base rate already at 0.5 per cent the Bank is running out of conventional tricks to encourage growth and is looking at other alternatives.

When it cut the base rate to 2009 the Bank judged it could not be reduced below that level.

Instead it has resorted to quantitative easing – which has a similar effect to cutting the base rate of encouraging spending - and has also looked at other policy measures including buying other assets.

It is hoped Mark Carney, who is taking over as Bank Governor in July, will also bring much-needed new ideas to boost the economy.

It would not be the first time a central bank had resorted to a negative base rate. In 2009 the Swedish central bank, the Riksbank, set a rate of -0.25 per cent on its deposit rate.

In December the Swiss bank Credit Suisse implemented negative rates on bank deposits to curb demand for the Swiss franc.
I tell you,.... that Daily Mail is the biggest scare monger going,.. day after day it spills out this kind of rubbish, in some cases it picks up a snippet of genuine information and runs a whole new story as fact, yet when we really look at half these story,.. [ and thats what they are `stories to sell newspapers` ],.. more than half have either no basis in fact, or never happen

How many of these stories have we read in the last couple of months and how many of them have ever turned out to be either true or have taken place
I would agree HL if it was JUST the mail.....but thats not the case here...i see alot of stuff on here that uses the mail as a type of ref guide...this is fine if it rienforces a point of view of the author of any given post...but should anyone want to take the subject further thats fine by me...an example looking at say facts was the rescent post and the very quick despatch of the authors argument by NR...this is also fine with me....but for you to say rubbish...without the justification...then its just your opinion set against the authors opinion...but thats all it is.....again thats fine this is a forum...my reply is NOT intended have a go at pisay it IS intended for the readers to take a closer look...and maybe a world view may be required to unravel this subject even more and not just a national view
Time to move the rest of my cash into PM's soon.
Oh,.. I agree that my post is just my personal opinion, and we all have to take these reports and decide what if anything we take away from them, I am sure that there are many people who believe every word they write, but I don't,... maybe I should not call it rubbish as I dont have the whole facts,.... but certainly I believe its simply scare mongering for the sake of selling newspapers

I know its not just the Mail,.. but the Mail prints these kind of reports almost on a daily basis,.. its a very profitable thing to do,...it doesn't matter if its the whole truth or not, its good enough to make people read it,...and pay to read it
Truth is...... nobody has all the facts...least of all me, but....there are alot of people with more knowledge than i,v forgot ...that take the view put forward in this post...on a global scale...and not nutters ...now that is worrying
(26 February 2013, 23:22)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Time to move the rest of my cash into PM's soon.

you can PM me some money if you like mateSmile
All the tabloids like to take a snippet of news and hype it up into a fear causing scoop, look at the BS they wrote about guns back in the 90s to help the retards get guns banned.
Interesting. If they did that It probably won't have the desired effect and could make things worse because it kind of forces people into gold and commodities. What stops banks investing in gold instead?

They are still struggling against the enevitable and that just makes it worse.
The idea is to get banks to lend their money out instead of having it sat with the BoE (thus earning them more than the 0.5% they earn anyway, albeit with more risk). The negative interest rate will not happen though, and if it did the banks we use would still offer interest on the money we deposit, but you'd probably find you'd have to start paying for your current account. No change for me as I pay for mine anyway!

Unfortunately this isn't going to boost the markets at all, bit of a waste of time. I can only assume that this was released to the press in an attempt to stimulate the markets, the euro vs the dollar has started it's recovery already [I've been watching the markets today as I'm forex trading Big Grin]