Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Motorbike as a BOV, help please.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
If your going to take/use a vehicle to get to your "area", the one you may have stocked, surely you intend to use it, or is this vehicle going to be dumped, never to be used again ?

If your going to use it again, put your spares in with your stores, carrying spares for any vehicle isn't practical, just like prepping, you cannot prep for everything, would you carry a spare gearbox for your transit bug out motor ??, just incase ?? Or a rear axle ???

If your going to leave, with just a bag, to get to your "base" a C90, or any motor bike is a worth while idea, just as much as a car/van/jeep.

If your planning to move your full house, or family, more than one or two people maybe 4 wheels would be best.

I bet you could strip and store 2 C90's into a family sized wheelie bin lol
(8 April 2013, 14:20)madaxman Wrote: [ -> ]If your going to take/use a vehicle to get to your "area", the one you may have stocked, surely you intend to use it, or is this vehicle going to be dumped, never to be used again ?

If your going to use it again, put your spares in with your stores, carrying spares for any vehicle isn't practical, just like prepping, you cannot prep for everything, would you carry a spare gearbox for your transit bug out motor ??, just incase ?? Or a rear axle ???

If your going to leave, with just a bag, to get to your "base" a C90, or any motor bike is a worth while idea, just as much as a car/van/jeep.

If your planning to move your full house, or family, more than one or two people maybe 4 wheels would be best.

I bet you could strip and store 2 C90's into a family sized wheelie bin lol
if i was considering using a motorbike as a BOV..which is what we are talking about-not a transit van..see thread title.i would buy another one exactly the same and strip that one down for parts, or you could move it whole might be easier that way...i'm talking small bike here like a C90.
You'd struggle to get all your gear, plus a spare motorbike on a C90.

ever tried giving someone a lift on a moped/125? its fun, but not exactly practical. same applies for luggage!

Random side fact, i used to have a CB radio on my AR125, tail fairing was missing, had a magmount stuck to the frame, and the CB jammed between the screen and the clocks!
(8 April 2013, 14:29)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]You'd struggle to get all your gear, plus a spare motorbike on a C90.

ever tried giving someone a lift on a moped/125? its fun, but not exactly practical. same applies for luggage!

Random side fact, i used to have a CB radio on my AR125, tail fairing was missing, had a magmount stuck to the frame, and the CB jammed between the screen and the clocks!

you'd be surprised what you can get on a small motorbike, panniers, racks, basket on the front, backpack on rider. i was pillion on a C70 once, we went 3 miles on just what was left in the carbs, my mate forgot to turn on the petrol!!Big Grin
Yes you would struggle carrying everything with you including a spare bike, if you store and keep all your provisions at home.

From what I can see of most of the "big" preppers, they already have an area staked out, and have already stashed supplies, ( I don't even rate my self as new, let alone big) some vehicle supplies stashed would be worthwhile .

Would not carrying everything you want/own be risky, to bandits or TPTB ?
All BOV should carry enough to get you from where you are to your pre prepared BOL with the minimum of stuff. So 30 mile trip 1 Gal and 1 day. For contingency you should have a full tank or at least 2 Gal and enough food and water for 3 days just in case you have to go to ground or abandon the vehicle.

Don't treat a BOV as a removals van and move everything at that time. You are taking a tremendous risk, If you are hijacked or simply break down you will be well under shit creek and sinking fast. Only take what you can't leave at your BOL. Items like livestock or family. Everything else should be preprepared at your BOL.

The one exception is if you are using your BOV as your BOL where you need everything on it.
Hi
I ride a Triumph tiger 800 all year and holiday on it, the list of benefits go on & on
range of 200 miles on one tank (21L) at 55mph
camping gear
cloth's
supplies
top speed 130mph if required

think about it if you had to get out in 5 min
Bike = load the bike with your bug out bag, fill the tank & jerry cans (fuel out of your car) spare fuel, next stop 200 mile away

Car = load car, first stop 50 yards when get to the main road grid lock
my preference is for a small single ,honda c90 cg125 or vespa px125/150/200 they all have there pluses and minuses but the main one is they can all be handled by everybody in my group that may need to use them and all remarkably competent off road given they weren't designed to be.
Forget the bikes, I've just seen a dune buggy on gumtree Smile If only I had £1200 Sad
(24 November 2013, 20:31)Snakey Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
I ride a Triumph tiger 800 all year and holiday on it, the list of benefits go on & on
range of 200 miles on one tank (21L) at 55mph
camping gear
cloth's
supplies
top speed 130mph if required

think about it if you had to get out in 5 min
Bike = load the bike with your bug out bag, fill the tank & jerry cans (fuel out of your car) spare fuel, next stop 200 mile away

Car = load car, first stop 50 yards when get to the main road grid lock

You are making the common assumption that all preppers or most of em are single when in fact over 90% of us are married with kids or in other relationships. Bikes are useful for getting ONE individual out of town and for reccying an area but they are no use for families, and bikes are an absolute bastard to sleep on especially in the rain Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8