Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Calling fellow city dwellers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
No point splitting it up into city/rural each post generaly raises good points, you also wouldnt learn without critiscm
ummmm....as lightspeed said if you can,t be constructive be silient...i have now turned into a deaf mute...finished with this thread and no desire to revisit
i dont know about that SS, its called "having an opinion"Big Grin anyway one of our long standing and most experienced preppers-no names- used to call cities "necropolis in waiting", i think that says it all.
Bp we all know who your on about :p

My ideal location would be in a forest in a warm log cabin, idealy in finland/norway with a nice selection of guns and gaurd trolls but as its not, im making do with what ive got.
To dwell or not to dwell? That is the question!

I have spent my entire life living in cities, some large, some small. And I can honestly say that I love 'em!
I am under no illusion that to survive in one post SHTF will be tough, Fuck, it'll be damn near impossible!

But some of us will survive. Not only will we survive we will prosper, and we will do this because we are perfectly adapted to our environment. The city runs through my veins and I have spent a long time learning all I can about it. I know where there is still access to fresh water. I know where there are roadside fruit trees and bushes that carry edible berries. I know where wild herbs grow on wasteland and along railway embankment. I know of a thousand allotments that have fruit and veg, and though these plots may become abandoned or looted they will survive, nature is hard to completely obliterate and some seeds may survive. We also have many many garden centres and even supermarkets that sell seeds, some of these seeds will be overlooked in the dark of a powerless city.

The common view of the country dweller is that the city is a Cyclopean slab of concrete where nothing can grow that hasn't been poisoned by pollution! This is a flawed observation .

There will be gangs roaming the streets and it is likely that to survive the city dweller will have to be a member of one of these gangs. The thing to remember here is that it's all about survival! Nothing else matters.
There will not be golden hordes heading out into the countryside but a lot of scared people will abandon the city, history has proven this time and time again. And these people will die or be killed trying to take what they need, they will take the Necropolis out into the villages and hamlets of this fine Island.

We take a lot of slack for wanting to stay where we are, but maybe ,just maybe we know something you country mice don't?

I understand the constant debate about disease and the dead, but pockets of survivors will prevail and deal with dead and dying in the right way, thus preventing the cess pit of filth and decay from overwhelming them!
i do hope your right Ghost, and i sincerely hope that you survive, but without food and water coming in from outside i think it will be a scrappy existence. for survival in a city(albeit under war conditions) take a look at Selco on SHTF school, may give you some pointers. as far as gardens and allotments are concerned it dosent take much for them to become overgrown, i know i've had several allotments in the past and it takes only a few days for weeds to appear,they need constant tending or they get overwhelmed, however saying that maybe flat roofs on flats could be turned into gardens-who's going to look up there?

we will just have to hope for a massive "die-off" because without it there will just be too many people in a city.
I am guessing that SD is talking about coming up with a `city section`, and a `country section` within the forum, and I think its probably a good idea, if you think about it, city living, and country living is the one thing that separates us all because the rules for survival in each place are so different, we often talk about city sheeple not being able to manage the countryside and visa versa,... so we as prepers also need to learn different skills, or be aware of them at least

Country prepers could well find themselves in the city when the shtf, and visa versa.
(27 March 2013, 18:07)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Country prepers could well find themselves in the city when the shtf, and visa versa.

thats a good point HL, any country prepper who regularly visits a city should have an escape plan and escape route!
Like I said, an instant snapshot of a forum.
Personal attacks abound. That's OK, I understand, scared of looking bad in front of your "peers".
Take the little guy holding an SLR in shorts. Trying to take him seriously but just can't.

Most of a city will try and run, some will perish who stay.
Gangs running round everywhere? Every street in London 24/7?
That many gangers are there? Not even in the US where they KNOW about gangs could they put that much firepower on the streets.
Too much escape from LA films.

A Pandemic hits.
OK, most of the city dies AND all those who escape carry the bugs out to countryside.
Going to shoot them all, 5 million odd souls?
If you were the US DHS you may stand a chance but your not. what is it, crossbows, bows and arrows, shotguns, couple of hundred rounds of .17.
Bye Bye, nice knowing you. The first sneeze and you're done.

Now just imagine if you stayed and lived. Prepped and survived the big die off.
No gangs left, empty streets. Want something for tea? No problem.
Bit different when you look at it that way.
It's cold. Shop over there has comfy bedding. Price? That would be free.

No one said living and surviving in a city is easy, it'll be effing hard but to just write it off as a bad job?
Think about it logically and not with some ones elses balls.

A city has resources can some only dream about.
Vast warehouses, innumerable shops, hospitals, vast clean underground water storage, cold war bunkers, are but a few.
Don't forget the couple of million now vacated homes.
If you know what's out there, it could be of advantage to not only city dwellers but also for when the countryside needs supplies.

A city section is not splitting a forum, it actually enhances your chances of survival. After all your local Cop-op will run out of cans soon enough and to know that in a certain industrial estate in city XYZ there is a non signposted warehouse with nothing but cans in it could be helpful.
Or is that somehow cheating?

As for slagging off paint ball? That teaches you tactical issues.
It teaches you teamwork. It keeps you fit and besides it's fun.
Still you could always just stand there posing with an SLR.

Meg.
you just have to slag off everyone else who has a different point of view dont you Meg? nobody said country was better than city-just different, you say you are a newbie but you wont listen to any advise. seems to me that you would be better off on your own city forum in that case! i have never heard so much BS in one paragraph.

with an attitude like that, i'd be very grateful if post SHTF you DO confine yourself to the city limits, the countryside dosent need people like that.

(27 March 2013, 16:06)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Bp we all know who your on about :p

My ideal location would be in a forest in a warm log cabin, idealy in finland/norway with a nice selection of guns and gaurd trolls but as its not, im making do with what ive got.

yeah i'm with you with the forest and a log cabinBig Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12