Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Navigating by the Stars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
These things are always handy to know.
As I figure it, the poles are shifting by 40km a year (IIRC) and I'm not sure whether an EMP would effect a standard magnetic compass or not. The jury is out on that one, so I'm not risking it.

This summer I'm learning naval sky navigation!!!
Got a new GPS S13?.
(26 April 2013, 15:48)uks Wrote: [ -> ]Got a new GPS S13?.

No. I'm just going to learn to navigate from the stars, mariner style.
Very good idea S13 I know a little but no way enough , thanks for reminding me there's something else I need to sharpen up on
I suppose that if one were in northern Canada chasing the pole about 40K might seem a big jump. What you will note in GB might be the same 1 degree fluctuation per decade experienced in any other portion of the world opposite the fluctuation.

It comes to simple trigonometry. A 40K movement 10,000K away is only a fraction of a degree where I stand.

I'll keep my compass and check it to the pole star on occasion.
Well there is a compass that u can use, that u can reset to where ever you are in the world. Couldn't that compass also just be 'reset' to the correct alinement every year to cope with this fluctuation? Although I will be adding star navigation to my list now.
The pole shift is currently a minor thing. So I'm not too worried about that.

I'm more concerned with the changes an EMP might have to a compass. It might do nothing, but I'm not taking that risk. Plus being able to navigate by the stars is cool!
(27 April 2013, 08:43)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]The pole shift is currently a minor thing. So I'm not too worried about that.

I'm more concerned with the changes an EMP might have to a compass. It might do nothing, but I'm not taking that risk. Plus being able to navigate by the stars is cool!

Can't disagree with that, plus u never know if you might just break a compass by accident.
Pages: 1 2 3