Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Water storage in old bleach bottles???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys. I read somewhere I can't remember where tho. That putting a very small amount of bleach into your water collecting system kills the nasty stuff and is safe to drink. Has anyone got any idea if this is true?

I would of course still boil or filter the water but its good to know that if I have an Emergency I could just drink.
You can use bleach to steralize water, it will smell like bleach but thats a small price to pay for water you can drink
Is there a UK supermarket which does a good, plain thin bleach for this? I think I read somewhere that none of them recommend their own bleach for water sterilization.
I think it is three drop per gallon of un-scented bleach,... just check the amount, but it certainly works, and it doesn't taste or smell if you use the right amount
You don't need much but it has to be Un-purfumed bleech. It is dirt cheap if u get own brand stuff. Bleach has multiple uses so win win
Yeah, thanks. Plus I like the idea of it smelling of bleach. It's water I could store in plain sight. If someone did manage to get to that water storage, the smell would stop them from drinking it or using it.
use 2-4 drops unscented bleach per litre of water and then let sit for 30 minutes.

i've been saving empty bleach bottles for years to use as water storage. they last much longer than plastic water or milk bottles. they're free and sanitary.to lessen the bleach flavor, we rinse them out well then let sit without the cap for a while. the chlorine evaporates over time.
Wilkos own brand 2l for 29p
Be careful, the shelf life for bleach is only 6 months.

And the water should smell of bleach at the end of the process. If there is no slight smell you have not used enough.

It works but it is not the best method available.

One of the best and cheapest purifiers are the large tablets of "pool shock" available for treatment of water in swimming pools. These tablets are about 2" diameter and 1" thick.

The old systems used liquid chlorine, but after 911 our requirements were changed to deprive terrorists of cheap and lethal poison for mass executions and they devised a solid tablet that releases slowly.

Our emergency response teams carry these pool shock tablets into disaster areas. their orders are to set up shop at the local swimming pool and throw two or three of the tablets into the water. This will give the team and the local population potable water within 3-4 hours.

They are also taught to use the tablets for purifying smaller amounts of water by "smell". Scrape powder off the tablet into the water container using a knife and let sit for a couple of hours. If you can smell the chemical it is drinkable, if not scrape in some more chemical from the tablet. It does not take much.

The pool shock has a shelf life of 10-15 years. Over here a bottle of 100 tablets would cost $10. That 100 tablet bottle would purify water for a family for years.

The tablets are not recommended for this use but they work for this use and the teams are issued them for the emergency purification of large amounts of water!

Another target for salvage post TEOTWAWKI, the swimming pool supply store!