Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Lake District Trip (long with pics)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I recently got back from a few days in the Lake District on a camping trip and I thought I would share my experiences, I used the trip to test a lot of the things I have in my kits.

The first thing I tested was my newest shoes which are the Northface hedgehog. They held up really well and wore them the entire trip. I did get a few blisters from a hike up Scafell Pike. They worked well on slippery rocks and in the snow that was further up. I was surprised how waterproof they were after another hike through some seriously waterlogged and boggy fields. I had the whole toe submerged and didn’t get wet feet at all.

[Image: Shoes_zps2abf47d0.jpg]

I mostly wore 1000 mile socks with them and they are pretty good but the comfiest socks were made by Lorpen. On Scafell I was using a new “tacticool” bag I got sent from china off eBay. I have found that most maxpedition bags are made in Asia and you can get the same bag with the same materials for a cheaper price off eBay. It handled the trip well and got a lot of sweat poured onto it. The problem is the shoulder straps aren’t too thick so I might have to adapt the bag in the near future but I like that I can use a shoulder straps like a satchel or use it like a back pack. I attached a small Blackhawk bladder using mollee and on the way down attached an Alice clip water bottle too.
[Image: Bag_zps678b6c48.jpg]

In the test I slept on an exped UL 7 which packs down really small and was really comfy it blew up with the exped schnozzel pump bag so I get minimum moisture in the mat.
[Image: 1117o.jpg]

The first night I used just my homemade down quilt. I made it last year and it worked well in the temperature but it wouldn’t go much colder. It also slid off me every night so I will need to add straps to go around and under my mat. I also used two wool blankets an old polish army blanket I got from a surplus store and I used an alpaca throw underneath for comfort. Alpaca is lighter and warmer than sheep’s wool but I can’t find a big thick blanket, so I use a thin throw just for its softness.

Other gear I tested for the first time was an US army rat pack with heaters and mountain house meals.
The rat pack was really good (I was shocked) I had the beef patty which really heated up using the heaters it comes with. After I had cooked my food I used the heater for 20 – 30 mins after as a hot water bottle. It does give of hydrogen though and smells funny. Pizza crackers came with it and were awesome. A few negatives with these types of food are they use hydrogenated fat and have zero fibre also made me gassy which isn’t good in a tent. The mountain house were really tasty and I am planning on getting some of the number 10 tins now I have taste tested some of them. But it is tricky to make sure there are no crunchy bits and you have to have exact-ish measurements of water. I had a second canteen and cup which had some measurements on.
I have found a new love for wool and wore wool baselayers, t-shirt and boxers, and it is true they do not hold any smell. I sweated my balls off when walking up Scafell and they wicked like a dream. I also tried a UBACS shirt with a tee over the top. The thick sleeves kept me warm when it was pouring with rain. It chucked it down two of the days I was there but my M65 Jacket kept me dry surprisingly well but eventually became saturated however my ripstop poncho kept me dry and packed down small I also invested in some cheap waterproof trousers and for some reason the ones I own keep sticking together on the inside and it takes 15 mins to unstuck. I have no idea why they do it but now I have new ones I will make some gaiters out of the old ones. I also got a down vest and a couple of other deals while in the lakes as all the shops drop the prices because of competition.
If you ever are in the lakes Grasmere gingerbread is awesome

[Image: P1010144_zps7ed7f6bb.jpg]
(The veiw on the the walk)
Sounds like a nice trip, thanks for taking us alone,... just one thing,..didn't you find that air bed is very cold,.. its something I always found, and haven't used them for years because of it,.. far better I think are the military bed rolls
first time i've ever seen anyone take a photo of their own feet!!Big Grin
Spot on enjoyed the article reminds me what I'm missing working in the south
Wish I was there. Always keep meaning to go to the Lake District. Looks awesome.
(27 April 2013, 13:00)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a nice trip, thanks for taking us alone,... just one thing,..didn't you find that air bed is very cold,.. its something I always found, and haven't used them for years because of it,.. far better I think are the military bed rolls

It was a good trip thanks Smile
the Exped mat is insulated and can aparently be used for snow camping the one above my mat is a down mat and is filled with down. They are quite impressive although a little pricey

(27 April 2013, 13:09)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]first time i've ever seen anyone take a photo of their own feet!!Big Grin

haha i wasn't expecting snow so i needed to photograph it Tongue
(27 April 2013, 17:10)SecretPrepper Wrote: [ -> ]
(27 April 2013, 13:09)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]first time i've ever seen anyone take a photo of their own feet!!Big Grin

haha i wasn't expecting snow so i needed to photograph it Tongue

if i took any photos i'd probably cut the head off instead...i'm a lousy photographer thats why i dont own a camera!!Big GrinBig Grin

nice view of the countryside though!!
nice picture and interesting write up ... looks like you had a good time
Exped down filled mat is fantastic. Pricy but well worth it. You can't put a price on a good nights sleep in the outdoors.
(27 April 2013, 19:56)Dorset Lad Wrote: [ -> ]Exped down filled mat is fantastic. Pricy but well worth it. You can't put a price on a good nights sleep in the outdoors.

I haven't tried the down version. They look cool. mine is synthetic
Pages: 1 2