Survival UK Forums

Full Version: No water scenario
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
After expierencing one of the longest winters on record in 2013 the weather has done a complete turn around and its the hottest summer on record. water supplies are running low tptb have switched off the water supplies to all houses and have set up port aloos, shower blocks and a water collection point every few miles. In adition to the water going off we are expierencing regular blackouts with no explanation as to why the the power goes off. In some of the larger cities there has been riots as people fight to gather the rationed water handed out. These attacks became quite frequent and the water collection points now have armed guards. Last nights news we were told that 2policemen were shot with a crossbow during a raid one died the other is in a serious condition. The reason they were raiding this mans house isnot because hes a criminal but hes a "prepper/survivalist" who had water stored.there coming after us and anyone else who they suspect of being a prepper. So weve had our food and watee supplies confiscated, the water rations arnt enough for our famillies needs and were all thirsty. The local river is at all time low, the ponds have dried up what are you going to do to collect water?
solar still. assuming it actualy works. dig a hole during the day, put in a metal dish, cover with plastic and put a pebble on top, water should condense down into the dish overnight.
(29 April 2013, 12:40)Franc Wrote: [ -> ]solar still. assuming it actualy works. dig a hole during the day, put in a metal dish, cover with plastic and put a pebble on top, water should condense down into the dish overnight.

I was under the impression you only get a few mouthfuls from that technique very short term. Have you tried it?
there should be info for every area of the country on where to get water,

a particularly good example http://www.bgs.ac.uk/research/groundwate...dData.html
If you are close to the sea you will be ok,.. boil the salt water and collect the condensed water produced by the steam
We have 2 open wells within a block of our house, one on an abandoned lot and one at a historically restored house. We also have the city well in a drugstore 3 blocks from us. No water problems unless it gets really dry for a year or more.
(29 April 2013, 14:04)SecretPrepper Wrote: [ -> ]
(29 April 2013, 12:40)Franc Wrote: [ -> ]solar still. assuming it actualy works. dig a hole during the day, put in a metal dish, cover with plastic and put a pebble on top, water should condense down into the dish overnight.

I was under the impression you only get a few mouthfuls from that technique very short term. Have you tried it?

nope, but the theory was good, just checked it out, there is a method that lets you convert several litres of brackish/sea water a day using evaporation stills.

that combined with a large canal of water, i can filter out the big green bits, distill the leftover water, then boil and bleach what survives, that should give me a few liters a day to add to the offical supply.

obligatory wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_still

or if you have woodworking skills, or can build a greenhouse, check this link.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/renewable...z2RsV6NgnF
I have 3 streams running through my ground and a well going back to 1820s , I have lived here over 30 years , none of them have ever ran dry...lucky me then
We have a 27 mile long fresh water loch a couple of hundred yards away, plenty of water in that
Lacking access to several thousand pounds of lab equipment, is there any quick and dirty way of finding out if your clean water, is clean? ie, can you get powder-x or chemical-y and put it in a sample bottle, and give a quick shake, to show any pollutants?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6