Survival UK Forums

Full Version: How much fuel are you caching?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can I enquire as to the general amount of vehicle fuel this forums members cache, treated or untreated. I'm down to 5 Jerry 20 litre jerry cans and one 30 litre plastic fuel drums worth of diesel, plus 10 litres in a small jerry can in the BOV plus what ever is in its tank.

I'm still saving( hardy har har har) for a DIY bio diesel machine so I have to buy fuel, but its so damned expensive I cant keep that much.

So how much are you petrol head preppers setting aside?
30-35 litres (petrol), enough to top up our vehicle from half empty, mind you i'm not even supposed to have that under our tenancy-5 litres is supposed to be the limit!!
NR this might be better done as a poll.

However it also matters very much whether one is intending to Bug In or Bug Out and how far the prepper has to travel to get from work back home (if an event happens when they are at work)

I have nothing over what's in the car but I intend to bug in. If I have to bug out I will probably have to go cross-country on foot anyway.
I keep the car and van topped up but also store 20 litres petrol for the genny and 30 litres diesel for the car/camper in jerry cans in the garage. That should more than do for where I need to go if I ever do need to bugout
Hey watch out filling containers up in petrol stations ,they recon your not aloud to fill big drums and go and ride home incase of an accident,bloke filled a 50gal drum up and the cops confiscated it .

Petrol fumes leak so watch those light switches in your shed ,open the door 1st or BOOOM!

Fill containers up right to the top to get the air out
It will be good for 3 to 4 months then it will start going all goooie (happends in my motorbikes over the winter) it go's like sludge and blocks the carbs up so if you got it in a vehicle or containers use an additive like this ,Don't know how longer it will store for ?maybe someone can look into it a bit more .
No good having gallons of petrol thats no good

Additive
I use Sta-bil and it states it is good for 12 months at the standard dosage or 24 months with double the dosage. Adds about 20p per litre to the price of the fuel but worth it.

I haven't stored any longer than the recommended length of time so cant vouch for the following, but a bloke on another forum said he tried some treated petrol after 5 or 6 years and it was fine
I,m deff doing it to storage fuel if it lasts that long ,piece of mind
I just picked up an old car that had keep stored in a garage for a year. Just parked with a full tank and left. Worked fine. Cool and dark, the ideal storage conditions for a prepper.

Personally, I only have the maximum that I can store in my garage legally. Wink
None - major downfall in my preps - but, ive got nowhere to keep it, apart from in the flat, so thats out the question. Need a lockup somewhere really
(9 January 2012, 23:10)00111001 Wrote: [ -> ]None - major downfall in my preps - but, ive got nowhere to keep it, apart from in the flat, so thats out the question. Need a lockup somewhere really

I'm with Binary Ninja on this. I have nowhere to store it. I'd have to make a cache, but since I don't have a BOL yet, that kind of makes a cache irrelevant. I'd want to make a few caches on the way to my BOL, so that if we are in a SHTF situation, I would be able to not only refill the car on the way there, but also refill it on the way out should the BOL be compromised.

By the time I buy a plot of land and put in a bunker there will be hydrogen cars, so I'll just need to start storing more water.
Pages: 1 2