Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Snippet about petrol storage and how quick it spoils,
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Snippet about petrol storage and how quick it spoils, The Aussie branches of Shell, BP etc are a lot more forthcoming with info for the public than our own domestic companies.

NR

According to Shell’s Technical Advice Centre Manager, Warren
Scott, you can generally store fuel in a sealed container for around
six months before it starts to deteriorate. This assumes it’s kept
relatively cool and away from direct sunlight.

“But if the container is not properly sealed or it’s repeatedly opened,
[fuel] will start to evaporate and you lose some of the light
components in the fuel,” Mr Warren says.

Those light components include highly important butane. As these
components are lost, the fuel loses its volatility. Mr Warren says this
makes the car difficult to start.

In warm conditions, fuel is especially prone to oxidisation which
causes lacquer and gums to form. As a result, the fuel turns dark in
colour, loses its clarity and smells like paint stripper.

Gary Whitfield, Senior Fuel Chemist at BP Australia says that in the
right conditions, fuel can last up to 12 months. But once the container
is opened, the fuel will start to degrade.

“Once the seal is broken, a vapour space is formed in the container and
the fuel will start to deteriorate more rapidly,” he says.

Okay, so what about fuel that’s left in your car’s tank for a long period of time?

Mr Whitfield claims fuel in a car’s tank can last for up to four weeks
before it becomes considerably denser. When this happens, the engine is
effectively over-fuelled (without any change in injector pulse-width)
and there’s an increased chance of carbon deposition onto spark plugs and inside the combustion chamber. This can cause driveability problems such as stutters and misses.

“Regular unleaded fuel will lose a small amount of octane over time but
in our low-sulphur and high detergent Ultimate fuel it might increase
very slightly. It might increase 1 RON in four weeks – but it’s not
something I’d bother chasing,” he says.

“Keep in mind that typical variation in BP Ultimate is 98 – 100 RON while normal unleaded ranges between 91 – 93 RON.”

Mr Warren says that in most cases, it’s only when fuel is left in the
tank for several months there’s the risk of engine damage. This is much
more likely to occur in cars running dual LPG/petrol systems.

“By this time the fuel will have gone dark and gummy and can clog the
fuel pump, filter and injectors,” Mr Warren says. It can also leave a
lacquer deposit on the inside of the fuel tank which is difficult to remove.

In addition, it’s important to be aware that fuel brews – specifically
fuel volatility - varies on a month to month basis. Standards vary from
state to state but, generally, volatility is reduced during summer
months to reduce evaporative emissions. Mr Whitfield says this
typically makes the engine slightly harder to start but there is no
change in octane.

Lachlan Riddel, proprietor of Gold Coast based tuning company
ChipTorque, frequently dyno tests cars which have not previously been
driven for several weeks.

“On the fuel mix we have in Queensland, I think fuel in a car’s tank is
starting to go off in around three weeks,” Mr Riddel says. “We can tune
a car, put it away for three of four weeks, come back to it and it will
be either closer to detonation or less likely to make the same power.

“I think local fuel is brewed to reduce evaporative emissions in warm
weather and, maybe because of that, fuel really goes crappy in eight to
ten weeks. By that stage, the fuel is extremely prone to detonation.”

Interestingly, Mr Riddel hasn’t noticed the engine becoming harder to start but the effect on octane is pronounced.

Similarly, the General Manager of Melbourne’s Advanced Vehicle
Operations, Steve Coates, believes fuel tends to go off in a car’s fuel
tank quite quickly once it’s a couple of weeks old.

“After a couple of weeks not driving a car, I find that it will be
closer to detonation than it was at the time of tuning on the chassis
dyno,” he says.

“And the brand of fuel seems to make a difference as well – I find that
Mobil and BP products are probably the best after being stored but
Shell Optimax is really good when it’s new."

Clearly, there are some important factors to keep in mind when storing
fuel in a container for several months or when parking your car for a
few weeks.

Our recommendation is not to run the engine at high load with fuel
that’s been in the tank for any more than three of four weeks and it’s
a good idea to add at least 25 percent fresh fuel to the tank every few
weeks. This will help ensure there are no fuel-related driveability
problems or detonation and will reduce the chance of lacquer building
up inside the tank
So after a year the car as we know it will be over.
(17 May 2013, 10:04)Anything Really Wrote: [ -> ]So after a year the car as we know it will be over.

Not really, modern cars have case hardened valve seats so it should'nt be to difficult to convert em to run on ethanol or alcohol, and of course bio diesel is already available in DIY kits.
The old series 2 landy I had ofr a bit had sat on the driveway for at least 5 years, with the same fuel in the tank. Change the battery and give it a go, turned over and ran perfectly. Makes you wonder about things like this, I wasn't expecting it to run at all, but it had no issues.

No wether it's down to that engine being able to run on almost anything flammable, or it's the petrol not "going off" anywhere quickly as we are led to believe (as this would limit the amount you could viably store before it's wasted) I don't know.

My grandads old car was sat in our driveway after he passed away for about a year, an old toyota corolla it was. Went out one morning to see if it still ran, fired up and went without a problem. Battery wasn't even flat!

So, I'm not too sure about this whole "petrol will be useless after a year storage" thing. The personal experiences I've had would imply otherwise.
I have come across vehicles that have been left for long periods. They all started and all ran on the existing fuel in the tank - both gasoline and diesel.
My experience of oil companies spans some twenty years. Their chemists will be highly qualified and speak with authority on their subject.
However they will be talking in a sales environment, encouraging you not to store but to buy as and when you need. They will also be talking about ideal situations as well as worst case scenarios. Ideal as in fuel cap on vehicle/container. Worst case scenario cap left off. Cap left off, air gets to product and deterioration happens rather more quickly than if the cap is left on. Climate will also come into play.
The info given is useful and worthy of study but, in my opinion, is only there as quality guidance as opposed to rigid stats and rules.
i'm going with a 5 months petrol storage just to be on the safe side, about 10 litres per week POST SHTF for a maximum of 20 weeks, this will give me enough fuel JUST to scout my area with a 15 mile MAXIMUM radius to pick up all those things already marked on my "resources" map, I figure within 6 months ALL the fuel will either be used up, spoilt or be unusable, after that everyone( the ones that survived that is) will either be walking, cycling or using 4 legged transport instead.
I do have quiet a bit of fuel both Petrol and Diesel around the place, I think that most people up here do,... but I make sure that it is stored in small amounts in lots of places around the `estate`.

With the Petrol, I have numbered all the cans, so that when I use one and replace that one, I know which fuel can to use next time,..so no fuel is very old,... I dont do it with diesel
(19 May 2013, 10:02)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I do have quiet a bit of fuel both Petrol and Diesel around the place, I think that most people up here do,... but I make sure that it is stored in small amounts in lots of places around the `estate`.

With the Petrol, I have numbered all the cans, so that when I use one and replace that one, I know which fuel can to use next time,..so no fuel is very old,... I dont do it with diesel

probably dosent apply in the highlands, but I would be very careful numbering cans, you go to the filling station with a can with a big 6 on it, everyone knows you've got 5 more back at home....guess where their coming when the fuel runs out?

I've got about 5 cans at the moment, I buy another after leaving a gap of a few weeks from the last purchase, I keep them in a row, I use from the left and when refilled the can goes on the right end of the line, no numbers no labels.
(19 May 2013, 10:29)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(19 May 2013, 10:02)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]I do have quiet a bit of fuel both Petrol and Diesel around the place, I think that most people up here do,... but I make sure that it is stored in small amounts in lots of places around the `estate`.

probably dosent apply in the highlands, but I would be very careful numbering cans, you go to the filling station with a can with a big 6 on it, everyone knows you've got 5 more back at home....guess where their coming when the fuel runs out?

I've got about 5 cans at the moment, I buy another after leaving a gap of a few weeks from the last purchase, I keep them in a row, I use from the left and when refilled the can goes on the right end of the line, no numbers no labels.

Its an interesting point BP, I hadn't thought about that, but as luck would have it, the numbers are written on labels not on the can,... so it might be an idea to untie them before re-filling
(19 May 2013, 12:53)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]
(19 May 2013, 10:29)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]

Its an interesting point BP, I hadn't thought about that, but as luck would have it, the numbers are written on labels not on the can,... so it might be an idea to untie them before re-filling

yep, its that old "opsec" again!Big Grin
Pages: 1 2