Survival UK Forums

Full Version: ‘Kei’ cars, vans etc for preppers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
UPDATED (April update at bottom of page)
‘Kei’ cars, vans etc for preppers
© NR 2013

March 2013
Kei cars are a group of vehicles that originally were designed to comply with very tight Japanese tax laws and spatially compact legal requirements, ie a vehicle that had specific maximum dimensions, emissions and power settings that gave their owners lower rates of road tax and other permissions in the notoriously crowded cities of Japan.

From these constraints an entire group of micro vehicles was developed, cars, vans, mini buses, pick-ups and 4x4s. From the original specification of Kei cars over the years slightly larger, more powerful sub variants were permitted and built many of which were exported to Europe and the US.

These Kei cars were led by the now massively popular Suzuki Wagon R + (the plus denoting the oversize sub variants with slightly larger bodies and bigger engines for the export market).

Other vehicles such as the Daihatsu Terios, Suzuki Jimny, Mazda D2, Daihatsu move, etc followed and within a few short years the Wagon R became the biggest selling vehicle in Japan on multiple years.

So in early 2013 my old utilitarian bug out vehicle / GHV a short wheel based Ford transit became uneconomical to continue to fix and run so I decided to take this opportunity to down size and see just how effective a MICRO BOV/ GHV could be but I had a choice to make, do I go for off road capability or load carrying capacity and in the end I chose the latter as it best suited my own needs, but I am aware of other preppers making highly competent BOVs out of Jimnys, Terios’s and Pinins etc.

This has given me the inspiration to examine just how much prepper kit I can mount / store in a Wagon R + whilst retaining its every day practicality as an urban / semi-rural EDC drive.

I 100% accept the limitations a vehicle of this type forces onto me but as was my original intention still stands that I hope I’m connected enough to the news systems to be able to bug out / set off home BEFORE the mass panic starts with sheeple clogging every road, and one of the advantages of Kei cars is they can get through gaps most normal cars cannot.

Over the coming months I will provide follow on articles as to how much progress I make or do not make as the case may be!!! Will I come to regret trading off road capability for extra kit hauling capacity?

The first step “Buying the vehicle” has so far gone very well, I have bought an immaculate top spec Wagon R + Special for £2300 that only has 23,000 miles on the clock from new, It’s got a 75 BHP 1300 cc 16 valve engine (petrol  ) coupled to a 5 speed mechanical gearbox and apparent is good for about 45 MPG overall, that’s a third better MPG than my old transit. Already I note a drawback common to many Kei cars it’s got a tiny fuel tank (40 litres) giving a range of only on the 350 miles before fills so obviously first priority is extra fuel capacity. I want at least another 20 litres of easily accessible fuel storage to refill the tank.

I have already found Wagon R’s converted into single berth campers like the link below
http://home.btconnect.com/wheelhome/page14.html

Next step will be to source a set of tyres with a more aggressive tread pattern to give me maximum traction.

Update Mar 13
Got four part worn 165 / 65 R 14s gratis off local garage, now looking for mudflaps, roof bars, chevron reflective decals for back and a towbar bracket.

A Link to a Micro BOV video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuoNKgF5t1o

April 2013 update

I’ve fitted a ½ ply board to the floor area of the boot (trunk) as the standard boot floor cover / spare wheel cover if a very flimsy ¼ affair. I have started fixing a few bits of 2x1 timber rails at each side of the board to stop my water and fuel jerry cans from sliding around. Current EDC practice is an extra 10 litres of both fuel and water with the option of adding another 20 litres of each if necessary.
This will give this micro van a range in excess of over 500 miles (300 plus range from the main tank and another 200 from the jerry cans)

I have filled the spaces around the spare wheel bay under the boot (trunk) floor with vehicle breakdown kit / oil/ tools/ gloves etc.

(Need to assemble a bulb / fuse kit)

There is a draw under the front passenger seat in which I have put a large First Aid Kit, plus Chemical Lightsticks etc.

The luggage (trunk) area is covered by a hinged fabric covered parcel shelf but again this is very flimsy and will need re-enforcement probably with ½ marine grade play again which will allow the storage of heavier items on the shelf.

(Need another ½ ply board of 4ft by 2ft)

A set of window UV privacy screens (black) has been ordered from Vanstyle to cover the rear windows http://www.vanstyle.co.uk/shop/index.php.

A search for a front A bar / bull bar has so far been unsuccessful , but extra retro reflective decals has been added to the rear to try and act as a “ don’t get so close to me” deterrence because the vehicle is so damn small.

Extra lighting for the front of the vehicle probably won’t be needed because the combination of the 60/65 watt headlights and the two 75 mm integral driving lights provides exceptionally good light as standard especially on unlit rural lanes, though I may fit a Bushmaster light carrying alloy bar again as a physical deterrent.

Need to save for a rear chassis mounted tow bar bracket so I can fit another jerry can carrier to it, or a cycle rack depending on need.

The Wagon R+ itself is returning over 45 MPG at the moment and this morning I loaded the vehicle with BOB’s, Jerry cans, Camping kit and three people including myself, We tested it driving around narrow bumpy country lanes and though twitchy it managed admirably . On the A1M it cruised at 60 – 65 MPH effortlessly with only a slight rocking in the strong side winds, 70 MPH is easily sustained but it gets a bit noisier and fuel hungry at that speed. Even fully laden its handling did not give any cause for concern. From the A1M we went into Durham and the wagon R’s small dimensions made maneuvering in the city and absolute doddle and its tight turning circle allowed for quick 180 degree turns on ordinary streets. I think Kei cars and their slightly wider and more powerful European variants have much to offer preppers on a budget.

05 /04/13
UV Privacy screens arrived fitted easily in under 10 minutes so now the cargo area and rear passenger seating area is a lot more private.

Not happy with original design of jerry can storage in boot and now redesigning it. ( done)

Built new one piece jerry can divider / luggage bay floor and fitted it.

Changed engine oil to fully synthetic 10 W – 40 as a precaution so I don’t end up with oil / water emulsion (Mayonaisse) in rocker box due to frequent short journeys

Now that I’m carrying more gear stored under seats and in the boot I’ve upped the tyre pressures by 4 PSI in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines.

Still searching for affordable A bar or Bull Bar.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------12 /05/13
Cut and stored 4 ½ plywood boards in the cargo area to act as load spreading boards for the wheels when parked up overnight on grass, it helps stop my car sinking in as I don’t have 4 wheel drive.

Looking at fitting a cargo cage on the roof rails but the price is putting me off

New air filter element fitted.

Problems with the tailgate window blackout blind thingy, the adhesive pads keep falling off and even super glue doesn’t hold for long, fitting physical solid fixtures to hold the screens in place (screws not glue)

Getting over 50 MPG on long runs averaging 60MPH.