Survival UK Forums

Full Version: dose prison work ???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
prison costs £ 30.000 a year per prisoner or £ 2.2 billion all in,with a high number returning to jail within 2 years dose it work.
or as a people are we more interested in revenge and punishment rather than rehabilitation , on average we have around 90.000 people in jail at any one time this is your tax money , is it being well spent ...?
or should we only imprison the most dangerous and give proper rehabilitation to the rest ..?
Whether prison works or not is irrelivant I believe, It is supposed to be two things, (1) Punishment for crimes commited , but the problem is no prisoner ever serves a full sentence AND all to often the judges and Magistrates rarely apply the longest sentence, I believe all criminal convicted of a third offence should get an automatic life sentence, Motorists who get done for a third time should be banned for life. Theft is theft shoplifting is still theft shoplifter should get the same custodial sentences as burglars and the penalty for burglary should be 15 years.
(2) Prison also serves to reassure society be REMOVING criminals from society, that is often overlooked and its probably why prison is seen as to not work, It can work very well if the sentences were long enough and fully enforced.

Oh yea it only costs £30K PA because we pamper criminals, I would have them all living in tents on remote Scotish islands eating only basic foods and with no liesure equipment. Criminals should live in absolute terror of being locked up, but many see it as a holiday.
remove the TV sets and games rooms and all the other perks and open the prison quarries again, make them do HARD LABOUR breaking rocks and the sods wont reoffend again!!Angry
some prisons in the us have them living in tents , no pool, tv ect plenty of hard work.

dont seem to work.
(20 May 2013, 13:48)Sunna Wrote: [ -> ]some prisons in the us have them living in tents , no pool, tv ect plenty of hard work.

dont seem to work.

bring back capital punishment and the rule of 3, first offence get a verbal warning, second offence you get a written warning, 3rd offence you get a firing squad......that should empty the prisons!Big Grin (that's minor offences by the way, for rape and murder skip 1st and 2nd offence go straight to number 3).
i don't think prison works, not in any way shape or form

i used to have an open prison near me, one of the prisoners was found to be missing, they found him down the local pub!

agree with BP, the criminal justice system just isnt a deterrent!
dosent matter, bugger all WE can do about it! nothing to do with prepping apart from don't live near a prison!Big Grin
Prison is way to easy, remove there tvs,ban the cigaretes abd make them do hard physical labour for 12_16 hours aday. No ifs or buts, they all have to do it. For some it would be the first honest days work and the hardest.
I think this has very little to do with prepping, but it's an interesting subject matter to discuss.

I'd just like to add one link and that'll be it for me.

Are you all ready for this?

This guy is in BP's and NR's Greatest Heroes top 10 list

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/s...-us-prison

To be fair, I think the guy kicks butt, but the article does portray his badly.
(20 May 2013, 14:14)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this has very little to do with prepping.

we'el leave prison reform up to the politicians...I mean they do it so well don't they? not that they'd ever listen to what anyone else thought. back to prepping.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5