Survival UK Forums

Full Version: My Water Tactics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well we all know that fresh water is going to be the first priority.
Here is my plan of action. Comments appreciated.

3 x 2 litre bottles in car

Stainless steel flask with inbuilt lifestraw

1 x 200 litre drum and 5 x 100 litre rainwater butts
filled with reguar tap water now - recycle every 12 months.
I dont however trust these to be pure (See below)

I have a charcoal filter with tap to add to a plastic box

1 x Family filter pump giving 1 litre per minute and 1 x community filter giving 300 litres per hour - both using membrane method and so far, in the field, has lasted 5 years without fault.

Chlorine Tablets but I still don't know what dilute strength

Boil -- Kelly Kettle
That isn't much water especially in the summer months. I hope you are near a river.

I've a lot more stored in bottles with filters to handle the stuff from rainbutts. Get some more waterbutts if you can and wait untile the sales are on for swimming pools, polythene for hanging up and feeding into pools.

You can't skimp on this stuff.
if i filled from the tap a plastic bottle [food grade] how long would it be drinkable for...?
700 litres may not sound like much, but as it rains every day you'll be able to keep that topped up without too much of a problem. It's a damn site more than I have stashed away, but as it rains most days I don't worry about it. Water is easy to find in the UK. Just make sure you have water catchment system set up, and get a few decent gravity water purification systems
we can fill up our blue butt, holds 220litres, from empty in one night with the rain we get here.
(21 May 2013, 15:12)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]we can fill up our blue butt, holds 220litres, from empty in one night with the rain we get here.

Exactly, water in the UK should NEVER be a problem. You don't have to dig too far down to hit the water table (something I learned growing up in the fens) - then it's just a matter of filtering it.

OS maps show all the springs in the area too.

(21 May 2013, 15:12)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]we can fill up our blue butt, holds 220litres, from empty in one night with the rain we get here.

Hang on - I'm moving to the rainy bit???? Huh
I dont think you have enough water either, you will be surprised at just how much you will need.

I think we have water just about sorted, we have two 1000 liter rain water tanks, and two 100 liter water butts,.. and if for some reason that is not enough, we have a 27 mile long loch just a few hundred yards away
(21 May 2013, 15:18)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]

Exactly, water in the UK should NEVER be a problem. You don't have to dig too far down to hit the water table (something I learned growing up in the fens) - then it's just a matter of filtering it.

OS maps show all the springs in the area too.

Hang on - I'm moving to the rainy bit???? Huh

you didn't know? OH DID tell you!Big GrinBig Grin you'll be not far from the Atlantic coast, that's where our weather comes from!
It is OK collecting it from nature but bear in mind some of us are prepping for not going out for a while. After any NBC type incident rain water could be contaminated, It may also be you want to keep your head down and even going out for a few mins may be an OPSEC issue.

Bets to have plenty close at hand.
Water needs also depend directly on how much you do, as a Bug in I have access to the usual stores of drinking water, but that'll only last 3 months maybe 4 at a pinch, but you can stretch it out surprisingly by using some basic plant based water collection, such as plastic bags tied over tree branches or over plants in the garden to collect moisture and condensation plastic sheet drip traps.

Also watching what you eat to avoid excess water usage for digestion, avoiding eating to much meat and complex fats and using plant based foods and supplement with plant based protiens such as Spirilina powder in it's place.

In my travels I spent some time with various Buddhist monks whom eat very little and drink just as little yet do pretty well in some of the worlds hardest places to live....so think how little can I survive on rather than how well can I live.
Pages: 1 2