Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Flys
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
In the short term bluebottles and shit flies are your friend, they will save you loads of work and loads of fuel, with the added bonus that if there are mass casulaties it could take months for them to break down naturally but flies greatly shorten that period, some flies are attracted to cadavers within an hour or two of death.
we are going to be living in interesting times post shtf my old friend!!Big Grin
Yup we either adapt or die, but that sort of viewpoint got me kicked off other forums when I pointed out that Fido and Tiddles had to either become workers and stay outdoor or be killed off because we cannot have them scavenging carrion and walking in god knows what leaking fluids and walking back into the retreat.
"Adapt or Die"....I like that, sums it up nicely. when the farmers had "foot and mouth" in this area they used chemical foot baths, all footwear coming and going had to be immersed in this liquid, maybe a similar arrangement needs to be used post shtf? at least in the beginning during the great die off.
As soon as the collapse occurs I believe (and some disagree) that a rigid hygiene protocol may be needed, for my original article I think issues such as
Quarentine for late arrivals at the BOL especially if they show any sigh of illness
Pooches and Moggies at the very least relegated from the human living areas, OR dont let the buggers outdoors)
If the numbers allow only specific people tasked with food preparation and cooking and others do the dirty outdoor chores.
NO items of outdoor clothing to be allowed into the kitchen, pantry or food prep areas
Anyone who does not sterilise their boots and fully wash their hands when they come indoors should be banished from the BOL.

Lets never forget that history has shown us time after time that its not Quakes, Storms, Infernos, Droughts,Terror Attacks, Wars etc that kill the most people, its the breaking in public hygiene that kills the most through illnesses such as typhus, cholera, E coli, TB, etc

I am far more scared of a slob in my group not washing their hands than I am of an armed intruder.
I like your post about Flies NR, and thinking laterally. If I was to take a positive outlook on billions of flies SHTF it would be the fact that the native insect and bird populations would increase to take advantage of the glut in food. The Freshwater Fish population would also increase due to the added bonus of more flies landing on water etc. Predatory bird numbers would increase due to the growth in population of prey species. So using this thought process I might say the flies may do more good in the long term than inconvenience us in the short.
(24 May 2013, 11:03)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]As soon as the collapse occurs I believe (and some disagree) that a rigid hygiene protocol may be needed, for my original article I think issues such as
Quarentine for late arrivals at the BOL especially if they show any sigh of illness
Pooches and Moggies at the very least relegated from the human living areas, OR dont let the buggers outdoors)
If the numbers allow only specific people tasked with food preparation and cooking and others do the dirty outdoor chores.
NO items of outdoor clothing to be allowed into the kitchen, pantry or food prep areas
Anyone who does not sterilise their boots and fully wash their hands when they come indoors should be banished from the BOL.

Lets never forget that history has shown us time after time that its not Quakes, Storms, Infernos, Droughts,Terror Attacks, Wars etc that kill the most people, its the breaking in public hygiene that kills the most through illnesses such as typhus, cholera, E coli, TB, etc

I am far more scared of a slob in my group not washing their hands than I am of an armed intruder.

I do think infections are more of a concern than armed groups especially where I am, late arrivals may have some disease that is not apparent for several days maybe a week or more, but as my "group" will probably consist of 2 people I cant see this being a problem, I cant see any of OH's family heading in this direction and if we've already "bugged out" they wont find us anyway (haven't told ANYBODY where BOL is!Big Grin).
(24 May 2013, 08:58)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]They still use maggots in hospitals. handy for fishing and chickens love them. Must admit I hate the idea of millions of flies buzing about, need to invest in one of those hats with the midge mesh

I was thinking exactly the same thing mate.

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/pestcontrol/flies/faqs#t5

Worms....okay, time to stock up on more Ovex!!!

http://www.pharmacyfix.co.uk/product/Ove...tAod5xkA1g
so we're looking at an infestation of about 6 weeks or so?? until the flies die and the maggots take over.
(24 May 2013, 11:27)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]so we're looking at an infestation of about 6 weeks or so?? until the flies die and the maggots take over.

Or as long as it takes for the bodies to be consumed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5