Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Water isnt it amazing how much you can use in a few hours
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I currently have 2,200 ltrs of water.

SD is right we use a lot more water than we need to simply because it is so freely available, if it wasn't so available then you would be surprised at how little we need

When I was in the Malaysian jungle we were told that we needed 5 ltr of water per day, thats the entire water per day for a soldier who is constantly on the move in difficult, humid conditions.

It wasn't easy at first, but we soon learnt to make do, we quickly we adjusted to it,..and if we do get an event, everyone will have to learn to ration the water intake
(29 May 2013, 17:30)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]When I was in the Malaysian jungle we were told that we needed 5 ltr of water per day, thats the entire water per day for a soldier who is constantly on the move in difficult, humid conditions.

Malayan Jungle !!! OK so which one were you Gunner Lofty Sugden or Bombardier Gloria ? Smile

"you lads is a pack of nancy boys and poofs, and I is a soldier"
(29 May 2013, 17:37)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]
(29 May 2013, 17:30)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]When I was in the Malaysian jungle we were told that we needed 5 ltr of water per day, thats the entire water per day for a soldier who is constantly on the move in difficult, humid conditions.

Malayan Jungle !!! OK so which one were you Gunner Lofty Sugden or Bombardier Gloria ? Smile

"you lads is a pack of nancy boys and poofs, and I is a soldier"

I might be old, but I think that those guys were just a wee bit before my time...Smile
2 Gallons per day may be the required minimum for you guys who can make do without a wash for a while but I bet your missus will soon have a few words to say in a week. And don't get me going about teenage daughters. They need their own personal 30000 gallon tanker ready heated.
(30 May 2013, 05:26)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]2 Gallons per day may be the required minimum for you guys who can make do without a wash for a while but I bet your missus will soon have a few words to say in a week. And don't get me going about teenage daughters. They need their own personal 30000 gallon tanker ready heated.

Ha ha about teenage daughters...

Many have absolutely no concept of how much energy they consume. (not just daughters and not just young people come to think about it)

All energy and water squanderers are easily cured though.... Give them three rules:
1. They can have as much hot water as they want (They like this)
2. They must carry ALL the water they use from a well/river/shop.
3. They must chop the wood, make the fire and heat the water that they wish to use:-)

If that doesn't cure them, they'll have to cut the treed to make the fire wood as well!!!!
This is why getting outdoors and off the grid from time to time is such an important part of preps. Whether it's a simple backpacking trip, camping or travelling by vehicle to a remote area. It demonstrates:
a) How little you actually need
b) How hard it is to get / carry / produce it

A face cloth is one of the best water-saving devices around. With a face cloth and a large mug of water, a man can wet-shave and wash the important places. Sufficient to keep odour and infection at bay. My son and I did this for a few days when crossing the Central Kalahari in Botswana, just as an experiment in how little water we needed. One warning though; don't skimp on hand-washing after personal hygiene.

I think Digger's education plan is excellent!

(29 May 2013, 08:37)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I watched that show in bbc 2 about Autralia that is currently running and they visited a winery ( I thought winery was where grumps like SD were sent) and they said they use over 500 litres of water to make 1 litre of wine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh.

Wow. I didn't see the programme, and I didn't know that. Take a wander down the wine aisle at Tesco's and look at the number of bottles of wine from the "Industrialised Wine Economies", then imagine 500 litres of water for each bottle. Makes you realise how truly f**ked we are!
(30 May 2013, 10:22)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]Wow. I didn't see the programme, and I didn't know that. Take a wander down the wine aisle at Tesco's and look at the number of bottles of wine from the "Industrialised Wine Economies", then imagine 500 litres of water for each bottle. Makes you realise how truly f**ked we are!

It was Episode one of AUSTRALIA on BBC 2 it should be available on I player.
Well considering that we still have the same water the dinosaurs were urinating then I think we have to keep in mind that 500L to produce 1L isn't the destruction of 499L of water but merely a conversion. It is recoverable.

After all what do they do with it? Look at your wine making kits. Nothing like 500L goes in there. It includes washing up, hygiene etc. which use water sure enough but not to destroy it. It is how much goes through the meter.
Pages: 1 2