Survival UK Forums

Full Version: when to bug out-knowing the signs.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Interesting, but I'd suggest that, if you waited to see the signs in the "Know The Signs" paragraph, you'd be too late.

This issue has been a real conundrum for me. (Less so now that we have "permanently" bugged out to Scotland). I think to be assured of an effective bug-out, you need to do it while everyone else still thinks it's Business As Usual. This can be difficult. It might mean just walking off your job, taking your kids out of school while classes are carrying on as normal, etc.

Moving around the UK is difficult at the best of times. The minute the general public get a sniff that there's a real problem, the country will grind to a halt.

Many of the ideas in the article are sound, such as keeping an eye on various sources of information. But, in the final analysis, the effective prepper might just have to accept that they're going to be seen as the "weirdo" who appears to be reacting to nothing, but in actual fact is just ahead of the curve. (Like the girl in Alex Scarrow's "Last Light").
Its all about being ahead of the crowd and that involves not only staying right up to date with current affairs and issues, BUT also being able to join togther the dots linking various incidents and issues so you get to see the overall big picture. A grain or oil shortage in the US for example is no biggy to us, BUT if the Ruskie, Ukranian and Aussie grain crops failed, then for example you hear of India and Vietnam stops exporting rice, topped of by say oil producing nations demanding part payment in gold and grain rather than US dollars, THEN you would be able to think there is a dangerous trend developing and react accordingly.
(30 May 2013, 10:47)Tarrel Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, but I'd suggest that, if you waited to see the signs in the "Know The Signs" paragraph, you'd be too late.

Moving around the UK is difficult at the best of times. The minute the general public get a sniff that there's a real problem, the country will grind to a halt.

Completely agree, i think if you've waited til there's a bank run, or everyone is grabbing whatever they can off the shelves then the flag's already gone up and you've missed the boat. Not too bad if you're bugging in and don't have to travel.

If I'm not at home then I'm 200 miles away now. Can't rely on vehicular transport to go the whole way, so I need to be one step ahead. Thankfully I'm a contractor, so can just wander off whenever I feel like it without too much trouble. Better to jump too soon than to go down with the ship.
if you go too soon and nowt happens you can always come back, wait too long and your stuffed.
Well that depends. Some of us may have to show our hand when bugging out. Taking children from school is the classic. OK if you don't go back but they will talk the next time their in to their friends.

I do agree though. Better to jump the gun rather than leave it too late.

Have a good look at your plans, when can you jump the gun and when can't you. Some will find it easier than others.