Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Bug In Tractors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw this article which initially made me chuckle, but then i thought to myself that AFTER TSHTF and when we start to rebuild our food producing / harvesting/ tree felling/ animal herding needs are only going to grow and grow.

I think long term we will inevitably outgrow our veggie gardens and allotments and start to need more space.

This space will need our attention and i think that attention may involve in time the use of tractor or other off road work vehicles.

Stuff like Mules, Quads, etc small micro tractors etc all used to spread seeed, haul logs, deliver animal feed, patrol our lands etc

Even if we decide at this time i dont want or need or cannot afford to going buying expensive gear like Kawasaki Mules or buggies etc I DO think we need to know (A) How to drive them NOW and (B) Where to find em after TSHTF and © find a way to fuel them.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f21...ors-17580/
(4 June 2013, 11:21)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I saw this article which initially made me chuckle, but then i thought to myself that AFTER TSHTF and when we start to rebuild our food producing / harvesting/ tree felling/ animal herding needs are only going to grow and grow.

I think long term we will inevitably outgrow our veggie gardens and allotments and start to need more space.

This space will need our attention and i think that attention may involve in time the use of tractor or other off road work vehicles.

Stuff like Mules, Quads, etc small micro tractors etc all used to spread seeed, haul logs, deliver animal feed, patrol our lands etc

Even if we decide at this time i dont want or need or cannot afford to going buying expensive gear like Kawasaki Mules or buggies etc I DO think we need to know (A) How to drive them NOW and (B) Where to find em after TSHTF and © find a way to fuel them.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f21...ors-17580/

that's why I've got a wife with farming and country knowledge, one up on everyone there!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I have two tractors, both older models without the electronics of modern machines. The small one is a Mitsubishi, 4x4, economical and small enough to get around the veg beds. The big 'un is a 1979 IH684 with loader, a bit thirstier but powerful enough for my needs and makes shifting muck easier. The most useful utility is a 2 ton tipping trailer, usually attached to the mitsubishi. Both should be EMP safe and will hopefully ( untested ) run on bio-diesel.
Those international harvesters are deigned to last til the end of the world, I used to frequently see a truly ancient one on a farm near Iron Bridge up Berwick way, back then i thought if there was any vehicles still going after a nuclear war that old heap would be it Smile
(4 June 2013, 15:40)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Those international harvesters are deigned to last til the end of the world, I used to frequently see a truly ancient one on a farm near Iron Bridge up Berwick way, back then i thought if there was any vehicles still going after a nuclear war that old heap would be it Smile

Mine looks as if it has already been in a nuclear war, imagine a tractor in a Mad Max film and you'll get the picture. Underneath the seat there is some original red paintwork, everywhere else is rust or red oxide. It was very cheap though and it starts on the button every time.