Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Storage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(12 June 2013, 10:06)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 June 2013, 09:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]I just need to convince the wife to let me make a few holes in the walls, or ship her off for the weekend whilst I "decorate"

You and me both mate.

I've got a sneaky way to do it, I'm gonna ship her off to a Spa weekend with her mum (so the MIL can look after little'un) then I can get to hacking and smashing - or decorating as others call it Big Grin
Go down. My house has floorboards that we replaced with sheeting. Plenty of cool space there.
(12 June 2013, 09:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Fit 6 or 8 sections of guttering downpipe inside those cavity walls, fill with tins then plaster over (or stick up a picture etc), then you have a built in can rotational storage (drop in at the top, remove from the bottom)

If I was to do this,..and its a good idea BM,... I would place in the guttering, and plaster over, but at the bottom of the guttering I would place a false double socket, remove the socket take a tin and replace the socket

Fill it up again from the attic
Random menu selection - one from the meat pipe, one from the veg pipe, etc. Big Grin
(12 June 2013, 20:51)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 June 2013, 09:23)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Fit 6 or 8 sections of guttering downpipe inside those cavity walls, fill with tins then plaster over (or stick up a picture etc), then you have a built in can rotational storage (drop in at the top, remove from the bottom)

If I was to do this,..and its a good idea BM,... I would place in the guttering, and plaster over, but at the bottom of the guttering I would place a false double socket, remove the socket take a tin and replace the socket

Fill it up again from the attic

In fact, forget the socket idea,... couldn't we fill all the cavities with guttering and remove the tins by removing the skirting board,.. you could have walls full of food

You dont need to remove the plaster board either, you could drop the guttering down the cavity wall from the attic

This is something to think on
The cavity wall is NOT wasted space. it is there for a reason... Think about it.... If you bridge or fill the gap, then water absorbed through the outer single brick wall can make its way across to the inner single brick wall. That is the purpose of the cavity. Otherwise you will be inviting damp into your home and modern brick constructed homes - if they did not have a working internal cavity are in no way able to resist water ingress like the older stone construction with rubble infill. The gap also acts as a ventilation for the walls to allow the outer wall to breath and this helps it to dry out. The air gap also acts as a limited insulator.
(13 June 2013, 00:55)Timelord Wrote: [ -> ]The cavity wall is NOT wasted space. it is there for a reason... Think about it.... If you bridge or fill the gap, then water absorbed through the outer single brick wall can make its way across to the inner single brick wall. That is the purpose of the cavity. Otherwise you will be inviting damp into your home and modern brick constructed homes - if they did not have a working internal cavity are in no way able to resist water ingress like the older stone construction with rubble infill. The gap also acts as a ventilation for the walls to allow the outer wall to breath and this helps it to dry out. The air gap also acts as a limited insulator.

I should of explained,..I was only thinking of interior walls, there wouldn't be any room to get your guttering down the outside walls from the top

We couldn't get anything in our exterior walls anyway, we have cavity wall insulation
That makes sense now. It is quite a good idea then. [/align]Thankyou for that. TL
Put stuff that isn't temperature sensitive (sleeping bags, winter gear, tent, etc.) in a box in the loft. Add mothballs to keep out mice and pests before sealing. Then use the space you freed up in the house for your food supplies.
Pages: 1 2