Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Scavenging, foraging, looting.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(12 June 2013, 12:58)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 June 2013, 12:57)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]don't think we just run in, grab the stuff and leg it out again! check all around first, if you were armed in hiding where would you be? check that area first, only when your sure its safe do you proceed, if at all unsure leave and come back another day.

Aye. Common sense isn't it? Huh

Tell you what BP, I'll keep look out and you can run in an grab the loot Big Grin
common sense is somewhat lacking in the 21st century. you're half my age...you go and grab it!Big Grin
Foraging, as in for wild food, is one thing but I think it will always be difficult to differentiate between scavenging and looting. Take the example of people starving after Katrina and taking food from shops to feed themselves and their families - technically looting but...

As to ownership of things after an event when as you describe, there are not many people around, the true owners may be long gone but it's not hard to imagine a local thug setting himself up as a small warlord and by force, laying claim to everything within miles.

As BP said, when you're sure it's safe, when you are certain you're not seen, go for it - I would. Smile
Back when I was growing up (some 60+ years ago) the Ohio River flooded Louisville Kentucky. Looters were "shot on sight"!

The same rule is tacitly approved where I live today.

The point I'm making is that people may take extreme offense if someone not known in the immediate neighborhood is found taking a neighbor's belongings and respond accordingly.
well, we will just have to access the situation and act accordingly! however this is the UK not the USA, very few people here have guns or even a baseball bat so I don't believe the consequences would be so lethal, but caution would be in order in any case.
(12 June 2013, 17:13)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]well, we will just have to access the situation and act accordingly! however this is the UK not the USA, very few people here have guns or even a baseball bat so I don't believe the consequences would be so lethal, but caution would be in order in any case.

There's that common sense again Wink

If you're going out on the rob you're not going to go
1) alone
2) unarmed

As that's be silly. Would you fight for what you've just stolen? Personally, yes. The impression I get from most on here? Highly unlikely...

There seems to be a vein of "Survival in the Nicest Possible Way" on here recently - well the real world isn't like that unfortunately. We're not all nicey nicey to each other, never have been and I'm sure never will be. People who are easily offended (i.e. complaining about reading swearwords on a forum Rolleyes ) are going to be in for one almighty shock when they have no one to complain to, or protect them from the nasty men with horrid words and worse actions. What we're talking about isn't a game, it's survival. Your survival, and you family too. BY ANY MEANS.

That wasn't aimed at you BP, forgot I'd written the first bit when I got on my soapbox Big Grin
(12 June 2013, 17:28)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]There's that common sense again Wink

If you're going out on the rob you're not going to go
1) alone
2) unarmed

As that's be silly. Would you fight for what you've just stolen? Personally, yes. The impression I get from most on here? Highly unlikely...

There seems to be a vein of "Survival in the Nicest Possible Way" on here recently - well the real world isn't like that unfortunately. We're not all nicey nicey to each other, never have been and I'm sure never will be. People who are easily offended (i.e. complaining about reading swearwords on a forum Rolleyes ) are going to be in for one almighty shock when they have no one to complain to, or protect them from the nasty men with horrid words and worse actions. What we're talking about isn't a game, it's survival. Your survival, and you family too. BY ANY MEANS.

That wasn't aimed at you BP, forgot I'd written the first bit when I got on my soapbox Big Grin
never thought it was, my friend. however you are right,i have always said I will do WHATEVER it takes to survive, no holds barred, nothing is off the table, as I have said before, kill or be killed, if someone dosent like that then it was nice knowing them but they wont be coming out the other side.
(12 June 2013, 17:07)Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]Back when I was growing up (some 60+ years ago) the Ohio River flooded Louisville Kentucky. Looters were "shot on sight"!

The same rule is tacitly approved where I live today.

The point I'm making is that people may take extreme offense if someone not known in the immediate neighborhood is found taking a neighbor's belongings and respond accordingly.

I understand that's how things are in your neck of the woods Jonas and could be here too, to a certain extent but I thought we were talking about - "a year, may be more, after the event. Probably not many people around".

Usable material going to waste - owners long gone - you have a need...
If life is in any sort of danger then there are no rules,.. but until that time comes, take what you need but be a little careful

O.k. so there are not many people around, but many of those people may well have bugged out only to return, if that includes a group or a guy with three big brothers, you could be in trouble

It also depends a lot on what kind of event has occurred,..if its a real biggy, then ok, not a lot of law around,.... but many events may only be short lived,..if you were to commit a big enough crime and our Army/someone else s Army or some sort of law was to be brought in, then you may find yourself on that wanted list

Take what you need, but be quick about it, and dont be seen
(12 June 2013, 20:10)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]If life is in any sort of danger then there are no rules,.. but until that time comes, take what you need but be a little careful

O.k. so there are not many people around, but many of those people may well have bugged out only to return, if that includes a group or a guy with three big brothers, you could be in trouble

It also depends a lot on what kind of event has occurred,..if its a real biggy, then ok, not a lot of law around,.... but many events may only be short lived,..if you were to commit a big enough crime and our Army/someone else s Army or some sort of law was to be brought in, then you may find yourself on that wanted list

we can debate this uphill and down dale but it all depends on THE event, then we will have to access it and act accordingly, I believe I have said this in one form or another 3 times now.
(13 June 2013, 08:02)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(12 June 2013, 20:10)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]If life is in any sort of danger then there are no rules,.. but until that time comes, take what you need but be a little careful

we can debate this uphill and down dale but it all depends on THE event, then we will have to access it and act accordingly, I believe I have said this in one form or another 3 times now.

isnt that what my third paragraph said?....Smile....I totally agree with you
Pages: 1 2