Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have large tubs about a gallon that had mayonnaise in from a restaurant will these be good enough to store rice etc

Thanks bd
I would say yes,.. the plastic is clearly food grade in order to have held the Mayonnaise,... just make sure its clean and very, very dry before putting in your rice

Whats the lid type?, is it a screw top?
Yes they will be, as long as you clear them out properly and make a nice seal on thwm (add sealant to the closure of the lid)

They are food grade tubs and basically the same stuff protein supplements are made from (if it's the one's I'm thinking of).

Can you post a pic to double check?
Yup. Oxygen absorber in there and a decent seal and you'll be fine.

If they're pretty hefty things then you could use 2 of 'em to make a Berky water filter. Just need the elements and a tap
(18 June 2013, 22:40)bowdrill Wrote: [ -> ]I have large tubs about a gallon that had mayonnaise in from a restaurant will these be good enough to store rice etc

Thanks bd

Yup they are food grade if they had Mayo in so they should be OK to store dry foods in, I would suggest bagged first then put in the tubs.
I dont know if they are biodegradable though ? which means it may not be wise to bury them as caches.
AFAIK food grade plastic isn't biodegradable??
Thanks all will be doing the rice this weekend Smile

Bd
Check out bins behind pubs,cafes restaurants ect handy things to have.
(18 June 2013, 23:11)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes they will be, as long as you clear them out properly and make a nice seal on thwm (add sealant to the closure of the lid)

They are food grade tubs and basically the same stuff protein supplements are made from (if it's the one's I'm thinking of).

Can you post a pic to double check?

as soon as i learn how to put photos up lol