Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Surgical sewing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Post SHTF will mean no more popping to hospital to get that minor cut stitched anymore.
If somone was to recieve a non leathal cut or slash, the wound would need to be treated and closed. So I have been looking for a surgical sewing kit as it would (IMO) be invaluable if the emergency ward was not an option.

So i'm looking to get somthing like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Surgical-...B005CQBR6S but can't find anything in the UK.

So are they (surgical sewing kits) legal to buy in the UK? If so where could I get one, or can I import form abroard without hassle from Customs?
what about those "paper" stitches if its a non lethal wound? I've got some in my kit, bought as always online.
(27 June 2013, 13:28)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]what about those "paper" stitches if its a non lethal wound? I've got some in my kit, bought as always online.

I can sure invest in them, but i'm thinking if they don't cut the mustard and you are looking at no option than sewing
(27 June 2013, 13:31)MCavity Wrote: [ -> ]
(27 June 2013, 13:28)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]what about those "paper" stitches if its a non lethal wound? I've got some in my kit, bought as always online.

I can sure invest in them, but i'm thinking if they don't cut the mustard and you are looking at no option than sewing

I had my gall bladder removed in 1995, a few days after I had the stitches removed by my health centre the cut started unravelling from the bottom, nurse added a few paper stitches and all was fine, healed up no problem.
(27 June 2013, 13:26)MCavity Wrote: [ -> ]Post SHTF will mean no more popping to hospital to get that minor cut stitched anymore.
If somone was to recieve a non leathal cut or slash, the wound would need to be treated and closed. So I have been looking for a surgical sewing kit as it would (IMO) be invaluable if the emergency ward was not an option.

So i'm looking to get somthing like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Surgical-...B005CQBR6S but can't find anything in the UK.

So are they (surgical sewing kits) legal to buy in the UK? If so where could I get one, or can I import form abroard without hassle from Customs?

Please remember (as I'm sure you do...) that having the kit is one thing, being able to use it, is entirely another. For that, you need both knowledge and experience. If you don't have those now, you must consider where you might get them.

My wound repair strategy includes not only Steri-strips, as BP mentioned but micro-pore tape, which will work almost as well. These are for lesser cuts and wounds though (but still stitch-requiring ones). Major ones, well that's another story...

Knowing how to ensure thorough cleansing of the wound prior to closure is equally important, as is knowing how to deal with any infection post closure.

This thread would benefit from input by 'Jonas', who has paramedic experience or from someone equally qualified...
(27 June 2013, 14:55)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote: [ -> ]Please remember (as I'm sure you do...) that having the kit is one thing, being able to use it, is entirely another. For that, you need both knowledge and experience. If you don't have those now, you must consider where you might get them.

True. However just because you don't have that knowledge or experience doesn't mean that after an event you won't pick someone up who has but without any kits.

I have several items in my preps that I can't use, several books that I don't understand and they may never be used or understood.

But, they may, one day make a difference. I'd rather have them than not.
Yeh sure I have a vet in the family, so I could learn how to from her. I fully understand you need to know what you are doing, and post SHTF you may not be able to get hold of various medicences/ antibiotics etc. I'm more looking at it as an addition to a normal medical kit in an emergency situation where no hospital is available.
Personally i've been stitched a few times in my life so post SHTF the likelyhood is it would be needed at some point.
Lol only gotta bump into Northern Raider with his compuond bow and out comes the kit Big Grin
I have (but can't remember where I got it from) a helpful little booklet on wound care - maybe you can find it if you google:

The Help Guide to Basics of Wound Care. It's by Nadine B Semer, MD, FACS and describes in simple terms a great deal from wound examination to dressing techniques.

Hope it helps...

Found it...

http://www.global-help.org/publications/...ndcare.pdf
And if the situation was dire and death was certain I would have a go myself even if I didn't have the knowledge or experience. The chance it would work is smaller than if an expert did it but it would be better than nothing.
(27 June 2013, 15:20)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]And if the situation was dire and death was certain I would have a go myself even if I didn't have the knowledge or experience. The chance it would work is smaller than if an expert did it but it would be better than nothing.

Thats what i'm thinking SD. just for the fact people will be doing tasks from chopping thier own wood to hunting with bows injuries will go up post SHTF.
Pages: 1 2 3 4