Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Talk about overkill
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Personally I think this is how NOT to build a self contained BOV, the weight alone is going to be a problem.

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/survi...ivor-truck
we'd never get one of those down a narrow deep Devon lane.
dont think i would like the miles per gallon , talk about standing out would be the first place to go to ,
This truck was shown on one of the `Doomsday Preper` programs,... and despite its weight it would do most jobs very well indeed,.. because its built for the States.

... but as NR says, if it was to be deployed in this country, then weight would become an issue for it in many areas

To be of more use to us, it would need a third driven axle added to it.
to be any use around here it would have to be a damn slight slimmer...a bit like me!!TongueBig Grin
no good as a BOV if you want to get from a to b without drawing attentionConfused
But an excellent choice if you want folks to run like hell when they see you coming!
I love it.

Unfortunately, we don't have a desert in the UK, so it might not be too useful in that regard, but if you got a similar thing in woodland camo, you could easily drive through fences an the alike. Get half way through Dartmoor and 'vanish'. There would be places people are unlikely to travel to. I think this truck could get you there and sustain you while you're there. As a BOV, I see it's uses. It's a lorry, not a car, so should be considered as being so.

It would be pretty damn good if you parked up near a hillside, for cover, and used the camo netting, and some foliage, for disguise.

When moving, you'd stand out a mile, and tracks would be easy to follow though.

In the US, in the deserts though, another story. That's where this kind of vehicle would come into it's element.
Here in the States the roads are better arranged for use of a rig like that. Most roads are plenty big enough to allow that rig to pass with room to spare. Although not many private individuals would opt for that particular rig. It is more what you would expect from a corporate support vehicle for private security force. One step down from a tank and street legal.

I have often wished I could find a good used armored truck, such as are used to transport cash from bank to bank, to rework into a BOV. Just for the fun of doing it.

I have one neighbor that drives a 5 ton farm truck daily (same chassis as what is in the film) and several more that drive 1 ton duel rear wheel super-duty pickups as their daily drivers.

Of my 12 neighbors, 10 drive SUV or full size trucks w/4wd and only 2 depend on regular autos as their daily transport. We are out in the sticks and when winter comes the roads can get bad, as in impassible without 4wd.
I think you'll find most of the u.k. is far too wet for stuff like that now, you'd be constantly digging it out especially on dartmoor.

Still It's the first thing I'd attack if I was short of provisions etc.. the style and sheer look at me value, takes the guess out of thinking if they have stuff or not....

I think for the u.k. we'll end up needing those wide tracked vehicles they use in the arctic to spread the weight over the snow, just ours is wet soggy ground instead.

[Image: st4.jpg]

[Image: DT-30%20Vityaz%20Articulated%20Tracked%20Vehicle.jpg]

welcome to your future, wet soggy England....
Drip drip drip, rain rain, sun sun rain again, snow for a week the 120 degree heat for two days then sleet and the comes autumn........

accurate description of an english summer, methinks...

[Image: smart-track.jpg]

[Image: vw-snow-van.jpg]

[Image: timbersled.jpg]

[Image: dtv-shredder.jpg]
Pages: 1 2