Survival UK Forums

Full Version: old railway sleepers.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Let's strap a few to the roof of the Beard-Mobile. It's off to the great scrap yard in the sky soon.
8x8 railway sleepers / posts in Maunders were £24.99 brand new. I'd want 9 for my raised beds though (stack 'em 3 high), so looking for cheaper options!
(3 July 2013, 09:35)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Let's strap a few to the roof of the Beard-Mobile. It's off to the great scrap yard in the sky soon.
8x8 railway sleepers / posts in Maunders were £24.99 brand new. I'd want 9 for my raised beds though (stack 'em 3 high), so looking for cheaper options!

for raised beds you need scaffold boards.
(3 July 2013, 09:43)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(3 July 2013, 09:35)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Let's strap a few to the roof of the Beard-Mobile. It's off to the great scrap yard in the sky soon.

for raised beds you need scaffold boards.

Aye, that would do the trick. I did want them very "raised" though, was looking for at least 24" height. Sleepers look pretty too, which shouldn't be important, and isn't really for me. I do need to keep the wife happy though!

Suppose I could make a frame though and screw the scaffold boards to that. But now I've just stumbled upon this again and I'm very tempted.
railway sleepers are very heavy, I doubt even you can carry one on your own.
(3 July 2013, 12:41)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]railway sleepers are very heavy, I doubt even you can carry one on your own.

Me? Hell no, this is a job for Jade! She is freakishly strong for a woman. Well, a human in general really. Big Grin
(28 June 2013, 20:23)GrannyMike Wrote: [ -> ]you can still get sleepers treated with creosote like phone poles also but creosote was banned some time ago wat they still now is creocote it weaker and less smelly farmers can get real creosote from agl stores like mole vally down in in devon

You can still buy it as long as it is for 'professional use'.
Read an article a few years ago in a gardening magazine that said some of the preservatives used in rail sleepers were carcinogenic and they could leach into soil that you are growing food in ! FYI Did a quick google to see if I could cofirm this but found nowt.

Bit like those poor buggers who got lots of free ash and clinker to lay down as a path system through their allotments only to find the stuff was full of carcinogenics and lead !!!
(4 July 2013, 09:43)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Read an article a few years ago in a gardening magazine that said some of the preservatives used in rail sleepers were carcinogenic and they could leach into soil that you are growing food in ! FYI Did a quick google to see if I could cofirm this but found nowt.

Bit like those poor buggers who got lots of free ash and clinker to lay down as a path system through their allotments only to find the stuff was full of carcinogenics and lead !!!
during soviet times we have a lot of those sleepers that are cancerogenic to human. so actually no one buy them for fire wood since then for a long time.
nowadays sleepers and power line poles are impregnated with eu approved substances. don't know if those are better...

but when in dire anything goes...
Pages: 1 2 3