Survival UK Forums

Full Version: My Pal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My dog was put down yesterday, walked up to our favourite wood this morning and dug a grave. Drove to the wood with him in the van, he was a large male Lab, laid him in the grave and shed a odd tear as I filled it in.

Now I am beginning to realise who much of my life was defined as a dog owner, from morning walks to taking an extra biscuit with my coffee,for him. Every day we'd walk and I'd collect fire wood and dried grass to tie together for fire lighters.

Yes I know he was only a dog but he was a stranger alarm, a guard dog and my friend.

Just maybe I'll get another but not for a while, I've always had a dog, you need an excuse to go tramping through woods!
Sad Oh Mongrel - you have my sympathy and empathy - I know when I lost my last faithful friend it took a couple of years til I got over it and found the friend I have now - a big black lab who is as daft as a brush but like you is my alarm, guard dog and most important friend.

Take care of yourself, and remember and enjoy the memories of the good times - and do get another one as I couldn't be without a friend!
Sorry to hear about that. You do build up a bond with animals, most times more than people do with their OH.

Don't leave it too long before you get a replacement.
Oh hell, I'm truly sorry to hear your plight, my sympathies lie with you and your family. And please dont say ONLY a dog, dogs give and give and ask only companionship in return, A loyal mutt is superior to 99% of humanity.
I am truly sorry to hear that Mongrel, I really feel for you. My first dog was a Dane, a great, stupid, gangly thing and when he was put down, it was hard. He was only 21 months too, a short time to bond but we did. They're never 'only' anything, always much more. He was followed though, by a farm-bread Border Collie, a breed I'd recommend to anyone - and the sooner the better! It's not a betrayal - it's moving on...

Oops! Bred not bread! Sounds like he was a sandwich...
I have already PMed Mongrel,.. but I have to agree with everyone, I lost a German Shepherd about a month ago to a disease that's so rare the blood sample had to be sent to California for testing, sadly she died before the result came back,... from healthy to dead within three weeks

... but I belong to the German Shepherd Rescue Scotland, all our dogs are rescue dogs,... and as we have always been geared up for three GSD, I thought it would be good to offer another needy dog a home,... this new dog will never replace the dog I lost,.... she will always be here
I have had many, many pets put down over my long life, its always a wrench when they go...some more than others...but you've got to remember the good times and all the years you spent together....and then move on, get another dog as soon as you can...there are lots of dogs out there DESPERATE for a good, loving home...you'll be doing them a BIG favour by taking them home and giving them a happy life...like you did with your last dog.Big Grin
Sorry for your loss
Sad news mate, but get yourself down to the animal shelter and pick out another one, sounds uncaring right now I know, but I force myself every time I loose mine , you never forget your pals all the same.
So sorry to hear about your pal. We lost our old Lab last year - it nearly broke my heart. Do the right thing - give another dog a home.
Pages: 1 2