Survival UK Forums

Full Version: UV5r Initial configuration & On the fly programming.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My pair arrived today. Aren't they dinky?

I'll try and get them programmed tomorrow

Once I've got the hang of it - I'll spend a little time listening on the PMR bands

Out of interest Ive also got the programming cable.
Is this useful for bulk configuration?
Congratulations RS

Re the programming cable, yes,as lomg as we have comuters available, using them to profram the radios vis the USB cable is the fatsest way to set standard protocold on muly=tiple radios.

LS
(23 September 2013, 19:07)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]My pair arrived today. Aren't they dinky?

I'll try and get them programmed tomorrow

Once I've got the hang of it - I'll spend a little time listening on the PMR bands

Out of interest Ive also got the programming cable.
Is this useful for bulk configuration?

Your radios are capable of operating in the PMR frequencies, but between the standard channels. You can set a separate send and receive frequency, so radio A transmits on freqA and radio B receives on that frequency, and vise versa.

I like this setup, it's not intruding on other reserved frequencies and the separate tx and rx frequencies and "in between" settings give some measure of privacy.

OK it's not legal, but unlikely to attract attention.
OK - so using the cable rather than hand programming what do I do?

The hand programming looks fine until step 8 is complete and then it appears lots
of steps rolled into just a few i.e. Rinse and Repeat

Is it easier to use a program ??
(23 September 2013, 21:15)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]OK - so using the cable rather than hand programming what do I do?

The hand programming looks fine until step 8 is complete and then it appears lots
of steps rolled into just a few i.e. Rinse and Repeat

Is it easier to use a program ??

I did mine via the keypad, don't have the cable or software.

It was trial and error really, the manual makes little sense. Remember that when you save a channel to a memory location the first time it saves the TX frequency, the second time it saves the RX frequency. At least that's what mine do.

I can't remember every step off the top of my head, but can make a guide tomorrow evening.
If you have IT skills programming by computer will be easiest.

But learn to program manually too. Its important to be able to configure the rsdio in the field as well.
RS, if you download the latest CHIRP http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php

install the USB driver too

Extract the zipped chirp folder, Chirp then runs from direct from the folder (its the only one that file type = application)

in "file" you can open pre programmed lists, PMR is one of them,

plug in radio, then "radio > Upload to radio" select UV5r, hit ok, and it should work!

Deffo get to grip with manual programming though,

set menu 18 SC-REV to CO (when scanning it'll stay on the channel as long as there is a signal received, then revert to scanning once the signal goes)

Try programming these frequencies manually http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/r.../ra412.htm

If you are nearby any kind of business that uses radios, chances are they will use the business frequencies, Farms, shops, pubs, security, it can make for a quite interesting day out of you put the earpeice in in town!
Thanks for that Binnie = you're a diamond geezer !!

I've downloaded the CHIRP Stuff - do I also need the USB Driver and from where can that be obtained?

Thanks
RS you should get a small CD with the USB cable, that has the driver on it that i used.
Pages: 1 2