Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Opsec concerns about HAM licenses.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ham license received wisdom

We repeatedly read the received wisdom that some people feel that holding an Amateur radio license will put you on the authorities' radar. It is inferred that this is bad for Opsec, and that as preppers we should avoid this terrible threat...blah, blah, blah

This gets stated over and over. Just by stating something repeatedly doesn't make it true.

And its not true. Its a distortion of facts, and complete propaganda. for reasons that are beyond me. ( but maybe I'm just obtuse?)

It is like stating that serious preppers should walk or cycle everywhere as their only means of transport, as holding a Driving license and owning /using a car pots you on the authorities radar, and that this is very bad for Opsec. This statement is true, but the risk is minimal and the downside of not using a car are for most people rather significant in modern life.

THE TRUTH IS that holding a Radio license and using a radio gives LESS disclosure to the Authorities than Holding a driving license and driving a car.
Here's why:

A current radio license, unlike a driving license, does not carry your photograph, nor do you have to upload a photo of yourself to obtain it.

A radio license, unlike a driving license does not require further testing when you reach a certain age

A radio license, and operating it, does not form a tag that authorities can use to monitor and track you as you go about your legitimate daily business. Unlike a driving license and driving which authorities can monitor and track through automatic APNR systems. An amateur radio license does not support this.

Driving licenses and radio licenses carry similar biometric data ( name address DOB etc) The difference is that this data on a Radio license is not systematically and immediately available to each and every policeman in the country.

Concerned that an identifying callsign must be transmitted, and that the authorities can track you through that? How is this different from the requirement for a motor car to carry a license plate? Police APNR systems routinely capture time and place that vehicles are in. This data is able to be automatically analysed by computer. A Radio station operating from a motor vehicle simply adds /m to the callsign, there is no way the authorities can routinely automatically track where and when that station was operating.

The authorities actively leak/feed information on the status of driving licenses to commercial companies. I refer to status of points on license, licensee address, age etc that are openly accessible to insurance companies. No such sharing of data contained on a radio license is shared with anyone at all.

====================================

Personally I find using the car a whole lot more convenient than walking or cycling, although I do walk and cycle too. I will not be giving up my car or radios any time soon for worries about Opsec.

Ah, but what about the argument that come a major event, the Authorities will close down all licensed Amateur radio stations and confiscate all of their equipment!.... Legally they can withdraw transmitting licenses, that's true, but as there is absolutely no record of equipment ownership, they could only confiscate equipment that was voluntarily handed over.

So holding a Radio License is like holding a driving license. It makes life a whole lot easier here and now, and experience of driving a motor vehicle and the ability to do so competently is a prepper skill comparable with the experience and competence of operating a radio station.

Any comments?
I know what you mean LS, but opsec is opsec and anything, absolutely anything that reduces your profile is a good thing, being on ANY official register or list is an extra burdon that if it can be avoided should be. Fortunately two things are moving in our favour first that 12 w SSB doofah you told us about, I'm really hopeful about that, and secondly apparently the numbers of ham licences in the UK or at least the paid up members according to the amateur radio club magazines AL keeping giving shows a huge decline in the numbers of people taking it up and the age of the current members is ageing fast. So perhaps eventually the numbers will die off enough to a point that licencing will be a pointless excercise. I can hope anyway Smile its got to remain freedom of choice as to systems and networks we use.

EG even if their was a national prepper ham radio network I would still seek an independant system from it for my own groups opsec, folks like yourself and AL will hopefully enjoy a nationwide network but there are many people who only want private group comms.

Good post anyway and interesting.
Thank you NR

Yes the hobby is declining, for the reason you say. Also because there are more effective modern alternatives to distant communications.

Governments the world over are de-regulating as they do not seethe main threat to ational security communications coming from a few old codgers on their radios.

Its unlikely thatther will ever be a complete deregulation, as the possibility of causing interference that can impete vital service communications is always there

But the good nes is that Ham radio is no longer a focus of government interest and more importantly financial resources. Result is less and less bureaucrats and radio policemen with a vested interest in keeping things complicated.

As I described, having a license is less onerous and harder to track than having a driving license, or a passport, or a credit card, or a mortgage, or a NI number, or a tax code....the list goes on and on and on.

PMR446 and CB are to radio what walking and riding a bike are to transport solutions. All will get the job done given sufficient time energy and perseverence, but sumeare a whole lot easier than others.

BTW just to explain something...

My own prep communications plan, although continually evolving, is already in place, functional and tested.

The notion of a national prepper network is something that SD asked me to look into.

I have more time resource to throw at the SUK comms project at the moment. Big Al is at work in the background as well. The work we are doing and the proposals that will come from it are to facilitate coms network(s) strategy and implementation plan for the wider prepper community.
I've got ham radio, and I do transmit when I find someone who sounds interesting enough to talk to. Do I have a license? No. Can't be bothered. I can still use the equipment I have, and just make up a call sign. I say good luck to any authorities in pin-pointing the location of a mobile hand held unit.
I've listened to my local repeater, and apart from saying thier callsign every 15 minutes or so, it's pretty much the same as CB, albeit with longer ranges and less of the 10 codes.

I can see both sides of the argument, but i've got splinters in my ass at the moment, sitting on the fence in the middle.

I might apply for a HAM licence if i get a lot of free time, but at this moment in time i don't so i'm RX only on ham.

anyone near a port with a ham should already have 156.600 saved, its really interesting up my neck of the woods!
(15 August 2013, 14:32)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]I've listened to my local repeater, and apart from saying thier callsign every 15 minutes or so, it's pretty much the same as CB, albeit with longer ranges and less of the 10 codes.

I can see both sides of the argument, but i've got splinters in my ass at the moment, sitting on the fence in the middle.

I might apply for a HAM licence if i get a lot of free time, but at this moment in time i don't so i'm RX only on ham.

anyone near a port with a ham should already have 156.600 saved, its really interesting up my neck of the woods!

Yeah, could pick up the coastguard when in Southampton. They don't like it when you join in their conversation!!

*Coastguard / harbour control*
I'll happily set up the equipment and get a license if someone will do the course for me. I don't have an OPSEC issue I have a time issue.
(15 August 2013, 14:32)Binnie Wrote: [ -> ]I can see both sides of the argument, but i've got splinters in my ass at the moment, sitting on the fence in the middle.

ROTFLMBO Big Grin
ospec is relative I can understand NR's view on it and on the other side I can understand SD's and LS view. If you are heading down the SGC or FAC route and you have the time then a HAM Licence is a no brainer if you want to get use to the kit you have tucked away somewhere or you are just about to buy
I don't think the Govt will give a stuff about ham radios, they'll be too busy stealing your pension schemes, savings and gold and re-distributing your food stash.
Pages: 1 2