Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Prepper and Survivalist BEWARE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
David lots of folks are after the stainless steel drums found in devices like that for making BBQs, braziers, stoves etc and even filters out of.
I have seen the drum out of a washing machine used as a very effective fire pit.
Yes I can see why people would want dryer (he took it away the next day and it saved me the bother) but come SHTF time I would warn against anybody leaving anything about that would draw attention to them.
(22 August 2013, 14:55)David075 Wrote: [ -> ]I left a worn out tumble dryer at the side of my house last week within a day I had somebody I don't know knocking my door to see if they could have it , thats last time I leave anything about that could draw unwanted attention or an excuse to come knocking.

You all are too polite. I left an old microwave oven out by the road when I took the trash can out one morning, and the microwave was gone before I got back into the house!

The OP does make a great point though - shred all papers before you throw them out, and break down cartons and take them to the dump yourself (we get one free drop-off per month with our paid utility bill).

Another little bit of good OPSEC to abide by...
We shred or burn anything that has a name, address or any form of ID on it. It's basic security. If I spotted someone going through my bin I'd set the dog on him! (He needs the practice).
Corrugated cardboard boxes can go on the compost heap or over unused veg beds as a weed-suppressing mulch, paper is used to light fires.
Firepit = less rubbish for the bin.

Personally, we're burning a lot of garden waste, so I just chuck 'prepper' rubbish in there.
Your wood burning stove is not just for wood. Paper and card burn and heat your home too. However, you do not want to pack your house with paper and card over summer. If it burns and is not plastic, it goes on a bonfire generally. I do not think the issues in the vid are the same as the UK.

Anyone NOT got a wheely bin? The bin men do not see the rubbish, the hydraulic system on the truck picks the bin up, and the hydraulic compactor compacts it. It is bad practice to put out packaging for high value items however.

Nothing wrong with the scrap men picking up items. Generally they come around here on bin day, long before the bin men and a couple of days after that - sometimes 3 times a week. If I am getting a new appliance delivered, rather than pay the £10-15 or so a lot of places charge, I will just put the item in the lane for the scrap men - saves me money and moves some money around for some in the grey economy. Good to get along with them too as they know where everything is - when I wanted some cheap scaffold boards, scrap men told me where to pick some up cheap (not nicked). If you want to buy anything on the grey economy, ask a scrap man, they get around so many places they know everything.
Pages: 1 2