Survival UK Forums

Full Version: My shrinking EDC gear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes guys thats the tool, apart from being bolted together instead of riveted ( which I prefer for field stripping) and having machine radius edged scales instead of polished edges the Tern is almost identical to the Spyderco UK legal folder of twice the price.

I would be amiss not to point out two items, first its not a big knife to hold its more akin to a high quality pen knife size rather than a conventional large frame folder, and it takes a few minutes to get used to putting your index finger into the serrated choil to stop the blade from folding back onto your hand. I would call it a suit or workshop EDC blade rather than a battlefield or survival knife.
HTH
NR
Do you need to add some sort of water bottle to your kit? H2O's gonna be important.
I'm guessing that the water bottle and other stuff will be in a GHB in NR car
Ahh ok
(29 August 2013, 09:56)MCavity Wrote: [ -> ]Do you need to add some sort of water bottle to your kit? H2O's gonna be important.

Not in EDC gear McC, EDC gear is the stuff you put on or put in your pockets each day ( generally), though some well equiiped folks also have EDC bags with lots of essential gear that they take everywhere with them. The concept of EDC is mainly those absolute essential you feel you must have close to hand at all times such as

Knife
Pistol (US)
Spare Mag (US)
Flashlight
Lighter
Compass
Cell phone / I device
Shades
Wallet
Keys
Multi tool
Sometimes they are worn about the person other folks keep em centralised in a belt pouch.

Often as preppers travel further from home they will add extra componants to their EDC such as the water botttle and puritabs you mention, add a bandana, gloves, hat, FAK, Ration bars, more tools, note book and pen etc so eventutually the EDC almost evolves because of distance travelled from home into a GHB.

(29 August 2013, 12:00)I-K-E Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing that the water bottle and other stuff will be in a GHB in NR car

Correct I also keep a " bag" in the motor with tools, grub, camp cooker, rations, clothes, maps, light sticks, spare batteries, rope, cord, cable ties, spare specs etc to expand on the EDC kit if something goes tits up.
The fashion for "Man Bags" is good for us.
Even though I'm a bit of a gear freak I've never gotton into this Man bag gear like the Maxpedition stuff even though its very nice. I'll just store stuff in cars in plain bag cordura holdall type bags. My only extravigance has been a Victorinox padded laptop bag which i keep my enhanced extra EDC kit in.

Some damn nice pouches, bags, rucks, totes or holdalls on offer nowadays though.
I bought this set http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/spyde...1561-p.asp

The largest one lives on my house/car keys, an the smaller ones can be placed in wallets, etc.

brutally sharp and not intrusive in pockets or suchlike.
My Missus has the Ladybug on her keyring, I have a CS Tufflite
Miniturisation ! why does going smaller nearly always have to cost so much more....i doesn't tend to work for me cos i downsize something then fill the new space with more crap , will try and keep my bob to sensible handy size , don't want to get pissed of with it and not have it when i need it....i'd just say that sometimes downsizing an item might render it less usefull......fit for purpose above all other mantra's
Pages: 1 2