Survival UK Forums

Full Version: OMG food prices keep going up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
sadly im not allowed to keep poultry in my garden Sad plus i think my girlfriend would kill me if i even tried Smile shes not even happy about me having a shed and greenhouse lol
how about some rabbits?
rabbits could work but still dont think my lass would be happy about the idea of it Sad i have been considering attempting a aquaponics setup in the greenhouse for next summer though Big Grin
(30 August 2013, 18:14)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]sadly im not allowed to keep poultry in my garden Sad plus i think my girlfriend would kill me if i even tried Smile shes not even happy about me having a shed and greenhouse lol

Time to dump herRolleyes
Makes you wonder what is inflation and what is profittering by these companies?.
(30 August 2013, 18:14)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]sadly im not allowed to keep poultry in my garden Sad plus i think my girlfriend would kill me if i even tried Smile shes not even happy about me having a shed and greenhouse lol

Women are never happy with ANYTHING apart from shoes and handbags....Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(30 August 2013, 18:49)River Song Wrote: [ -> ]

Time to dump herRolleyes

lol unfortunately not an option Smile
Food is still cheap. You just need to shop around. Some places charge £60 for a plate of chips and a gammon slice. Alsi you can get the lot for 5 of you for a couple of quid.

Shop around all the time for the cheapers but don't just concentrate on price. Think quality as well.
I have membership of a couple of different cash and carries. Still get big sacks of potatoes and other veg cheap. Potatoes and onions keep, but a sack of cabbages is only worth buying if you are sharing with others.

Tuna has went up a lot, but most all canned meat / fish has. Best thing you can do is have a chest freezer and a vacuum packer. Get good deals on turkey, goose and gammon just after Christmas. Joint the birds up and vac pack it. Once that is done, freeze and stuff keeps pretty much for ever.

You can get different deals at different times of the year on meat. Been good for beef this year so far, regularly getting topside at £5/kilo for British meat, whole pork bellies for £3 / kilo British meat.

My local Costco have a load of American pork in the last couple of months but I have not bought any, sure in America they feed pigs on twinkies and hormones Wink

If you shop around and can buy and store bulk, you can still get quality and value.
Wonderful idea - Get loads of meat and then joint it and freeze it.

Next the grid goes --- now what?

I think I've answered my own question

How about a 12v freezer. Well not actually --- 20deg below ambient
but I'm sure there is something around
Pages: 1 2 3