Survival UK Forums

Full Version: If prepping became fashionable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a thought I've been brewing for a day or so. I started a thread about how people see prepping developing, meaning to ask if they saw it going military, people grouping better/worse, better/worse organisation, too many guns, not enough guns, or what, but it seems to have become about fashion.

The thought crossed my mind that the idea was possible. It may not be as mainstream as many other things, but becoming more popular to the point of socially accepted terms and socially recognised terms is definitely possible. Personally I see it as inevitable...but that's another conversation.

So what will this mean if prepping somehow becomes 'main-stream'?

It means a few things. But much of this is just the result of how other 'sub-sports' have been effected by main stream attention. By sub-sports I mean unpopular sports that suddenly became VERY popular.

First up, skateboarding. It's not new and it has already been popular in the past. The computer game Tony Hawk Pro Skater made it SUPER POPULAR!!! Did it ruin skateboarding? Well yes and no. Everyone thought they were an amazing skater because they knew the tricks and could do them on the game. This caused an annoyance, but as long as you laughed at their ignorance and deer in headlights expression when they got on your board and realised pressing A and square did not constitute a kickflip, it made things well funny.

One of the greatest outcomes of the game was that certain people (not many) actually internalised the ethos and really took to skateboarding. This made skating more fun because of the group fun. However, it also attracted more attention and made security guards more inclined to chase us off their sites.

Another negative aspect of skateboarding becoming so popular was the products. Some companies were pumping out cheap low quality products while others saw an opportunity and increased their prices massively (think 50-80%). A deck went from £40 to £75!!! This ruined a lot of experiences for many people.

Once the fad of the sport died, many companies went bust and a lot of people were out of their jobs. Another negative aspect of the popularity boom and bust.

This pattern is true with bodybuilding. Becomes popular every summer. Loads of people start, not many stay. Those that do stay get respect. People think steroids are what makes you big (poor ignorant fools) so they jack up on them without knowing what they're doing. No effects seen, so they leave the gyms a few months (usually weeks) later, and it's all back to square 1. Some idiot bought too much deca and is selling it on at a discount. Start up gyms have gone bust. And the only ones that benefit are the gyms that last and the old-timer bodybuilders. The new generation is able to take the sport forward, but many people have become disillusioned.

I could go on and name many more things like that, but I think you get the idea.

Now how does this relate to prepping?

First up, many companies will up their prices and start selling super expensive gear that you paid much less for 6 months ago! And 6 months later that same gear will be on ebay or something like that at half price. Who benefits? The companies.

What about the fad-preppers themselves? Many will commen with things like 'I used to do that' and talk about their amazing preps. They'll completely forget to mention it was actually a game or tv show that had those preps.

There will be some who internalise the ethos, understand the risks, and fully become genuine preppers. These people are one of the major benefits of positive mainstream attention. The problem will be that they will have broadcast their preps already. That's part of the way to become popular, right? How do people know you're a cool prepper if you don't tell them?! Major downside of these people.

Another downside is that these people likely became preppers to seem cool. Meaning...they want to be liked. Post SHTF this kind of scenario "people outside, do we let them in?" will become a "Tony you bellend! Why did you just let them in?!?!" scenario. The reason would be that person's desire to be liked. Very dangerous.

Next up will be the increase in gov spending to observe all the preppers...if we are worth watching at all. Well that makes being hidden much easier as there is more to watch and less to watch us haha. However, there is a flip side to this. Skateboarders got in trouble for general crimes, bodybuilders got in trouble for fights, mma fighters coined cage-fighter, and all being accused of drugs. Well, nearly everyone is in a social group for drugs. Lawyers accountants all the way to police and shelf stackers. So one major issue is the press. All it will take is one event where a prepper does 1 thing wrong, and we're all branded the same. One gun use, arrow use, fight, drugs raid, or anything of the kind!

This press hyping is why everyone calls skateboarders vandals. It's why people say steds cause roid rage (haha, silly ignorant people) and why people think cage-fighting (mma) is no holds bared illegal fighting (f@#%ing idiots that believe this crap). The thing is, even though you as a participant of the activity are smart enough to know otherwise the vast majority are too dumb to think otherwise. As soon as anything happens, they will turn on you harder than ever before. Just check out the Survivalists being victimised in the US after the last few shootings.

Okay, enough negativity. One of the next upsides is the increased networks that will be available. All we really need is one person to pump up and get a large plot of land in place, and then a community could develop pretty quickly. Is this good? It would well be, yes. Or it could turn into David Caresh and Wacco 2. The thing is, increasing the numbers of people will simply increase the opportunities and potential networks we can develop; which is exciting.

So what is the outcome of this 'fashionising' of prepping. Not much really. There will be those that gripe and groan about it. But those are the same people that gripe about the sun coming up and making it too sunny, and then gripe again about the sun going down and making it too dark. To those people, screw them and their venomous attitudes.

The most important part about a fashionised prepping culture is that some will internalise what it means to be a prepper and will remain in the fold. It will not change our regular tin shopping. Our water storage, or anything like that. Yes prices will change, but that's inevitable anyway. Just suck it up and deal with it, like we all do with petrol price increases and food increases.

The fashion of prepping can only be a good thing, because it will open the eyes of a few. It will never become a mainstream thing, so we don't need to worry about that. Furthermore many will not internalise what is means to be a prepper, so those wanting a huge die-off will still get what they want too. It is a no lose situation.

People will be more self conscious about their behaviour, and the alike.

IF prepping became fashionable, it could only be a good thing.
I think at the moment prepping is at a good level,.. I dont really care if it does get more popular, but the problem with that is you end up with prepping becoming more like camping out, people will see it as a sort of hobby and something to do in your spare time

At the moment companies do make money from preppers, and so they should, but I dont see it getting to such a stage as to make it mega popular, we are not about to see prepper stores opening,... although having said that we do see prepper on-line offers

As the countries situation becomes worse, we are bound to see more people becoming concerned about the future, and I am sure there will be a few more preppers born because of it, but I cant see it gaining as much popularity as say the states
If "prepping" really became fashionable, the governments of the world would have collective hissy-fits! It would mean that the people that TPTB plan to subjugate would no longer be reliant on the governments for their daily sustenance. I like it!
I can't see it getting popular any time soon tbh. Where I live there is no one around who wants to even think of it, thank f##k I found this site!!
(9 September 2013, 11:13)MCavity Wrote: [ -> ]Where I live there is no one around who wants to even think of it.

I think that goes for most of us!
You're prob right S13, it'll be a fad taht is cashed (excuse pun) in-on by big companies.

The problem with real prepping is taht it requires thought and understanding...lots and lots of it. Many people do not have the time for that. They'd prefer to be investing their time in fropnt of the TV.

The big companies might seek to create a demand or cash in on one that develops naturally: One stop shops that will sell you products, suitably packaged, so that the buyers' can tick the box on another desirable consumable. River Song's monthly prep boxes will be marketed as the way to demonstrate how much you care for your nearest and dearest...... the'll be sold in Tescos right alongside the latest celebrety chef endorsed TV dinners.

Meanwhile what will happen to real prepping.....well nothing actually, we'll just continue to keep our heads down and prep for whatever we believe our futures might bring.

Maybe in a year after the prepping fad ends there will be a lot of RS food boxes up for grabs on e-bay at knock down prices;-)