Survival UK Forums

Full Version: what about when the Internet goes off?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well this is sort of prepping related imo. So s.d please read it and bear with it, it is relevant i think.

1) read this article.
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/10-signs-...rol_092013

Now, I've seen reports that some u.s.senators and no doubt our own m.p.'s hate the internet as they say because if something happens, its around the world in minutes or hours, so its much harder to control people because of it, by that they mean the information you see and hear.

People can organize read educate themselves etc...

And a year or so ago Obama was looking at installing a kill switch if its not already done.

Could the worlds internet be shut off?

Is there a way around it if it did happen?

What are you going to do if the internet goes off?

As of now for me anyway it forms a large part of my preps, i.e. keeping informed and up to date on whats going on in the world.

At this moment I'd have to rely on what gets printed in the news papers as we did before the glorious internet came into being.

Has anybody got any ideas of what we could do?
Would short wave radio make a comeback?

Any ideas ?

Any thoughts?
I think you can safely say if the internet DID get shut down, then the SHTF is definitely upon us!!
I've prepped for thisSmile

I have boxes of magazines, so I can go back to doing it old schoolAngel

WaylanderTongue
Turning the Internet off will trigger the riots they want to avoid. So, as has been said, if the internet goes off we have our event.
I suspect the internet is viewed as a great tool to pacify the masses so will be kept on till the very death.
If the net went down, then a major communication network has disappeared, so yes, I do think that radio in its many forms would make a come back, its one reason many of us have more than one system... ie, ham radio, CB radio, or just plain short distance two way radio
Amateur radio is the "back-up internet". Even if you don't want to get licensed, get a good high-frequency short-wave radio receiver that has single side-band capability and is digitally tuned, and download the appropriate frequency charts. Also stock up on batteries.
Hmm.

Radio COULD take over SOME of the communications capability of the internet, but not the extrordinary information resource thatthe internet represents.

I'm wondering what the cost of a second-hand Encyclopedia Britannica is now? Answer £3.00 as a CD rom collection and from £50 for a printedversion. Not bad.

BTW Computer to computer typed messaging over radio link is relatively easy and inexpensive to add capability for any SSB capable radio transmitter. The technique used is very nearly as good as morse code for its capability to send messages over very long range.
I've wondered about that as well, we rely on the internet for so much those days, it's replaced books in many ways. What I do, is visit charity shops! great books are being dumped and can be purchased for penny's I'm building quite a reference liberty.
LS

I seem to recall from my distant past, something called "packet radio".
Essentially this appeared to be blocks of 128 byte data in an "envelope"

It wouldn't be beyond the bounds of imagination to encapsulate TCP/IP packets and transmit them. I am not sure of the speeds you might get on SSB but you would at least have a rudimentary net.

Talking about communications .............

Paddy goes up to Seamus and sees him talking to an empty envelope.
"What you doing you daft beggar?"
"It's voicemail innit!"

Allons-y
Pages: 1 2 3