Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Concentrating My Efforts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I shoot several evenings a week.

Usually I take a small pouch/bag full of ammo and my rifle or shotgun, and pot whatever legal quarry I see, that is in season,that I fancy for the pot. Along with any foxes that are dumb enough to stick their heads in my cross hairs Undecided

I believe I have a very good shot to kill ratio Angel

This week, I decided to change my routine. I set myself a task. I was only allowed to take 5 rounds of ammo and I had to feed my dogs from my shooting, efforts.

It became quite intense.

I contemplated every shot more, and to ensure a clean kill I made an extra effort to get closer to my prey. With only five shots maximum per outing and my dogs dinner depending on me, I had to deliver.

I've always operated on the one shot kill, principle, but when you are restricted to how much ammunition you have, it really makes you think differently.

Anyway, for the last five nights I have shot 2 bullets per night and delivered 10 rabbits (except one evening where I fired a 3rd shot and delivered a fox - not for my dogs to eat- to keep one of my farmers happy)

So next time you take your shotgun/rifle/air rifle out. Limit yourself to 5 rounds and see what you think.

After any event, if your expect to hunt, every shot must count.

WaylanderCool
(11 September 2013, 22:35)Waylander Wrote: [ -> ]I shoot several evenings a week.

Usually I take a small pouch/bag full of ammo and my rifle or shotgun, and pot whatever legal quarry I see, that is in season,that I fancy for the pot. Along with any foxes that are dumb enough to stick their heads in my cross hairs Undecided

I believe I have a very good shot to kill ratio Angel

This week, I decided to change my routine. I set myself a task. I was only allowed to take 5 rounds of ammo and I had to feed my dogs from my shooting, efforts.

It became quite intense.

I contemplated every shot more, and to ensure a clean kill I made an extra effort to get closer to my prey. With only five shots maximum per outing and my dogs dinner depending on me, I had to deliver.

I've always operated on the one shot kill, principle, but when you are restricted to how much ammunition you have, it really makes you think differently.

Anyway, for the last five nights I have shot 2 bullets per night and delivered 10 rabbits (except one evening where I fired a 3rd shot and delivered a fox - not for my dogs to eat- to keep one of my farmers happy)

So next time you take your shotgun/rifle/air rifle out. Limit yourself to 5 rounds and see what you think.

After any event, if your expect to hunt, every shot must count.

WaylanderCool

its an interesting thought...i've never "needed" that rabbit or pigeon and the odd fluffed shot or careless approach that has made me come up empty has never bothered me as there will always be another opportunity and the ammo is plentiful....not nescessarily so in the future...not been rough shooting in a while...all clays now and not really enough of that.
Waylander that is exactly what happens during sniper training, you are given less ammo and more targets until they match , you are expected to kill every target ( the one shot one kill approach ) ,its a great way of horning your skills but must be practised over and over or you become sloppy believe me that happens quite quickly.
sounds like a plan, might give this a bash at the weekend!
lol,... this brought back a distant memory,... when I was about 10 or 12 years old, I started working on a farm down the road from us,..I was too young to do many of the jobs, so the feeding of the dogs became my responsibility.

To do that he gave me a .22 rimfire, and three rounds every day, with that I was required to bring back two rabbits,.. I was praised if I returned the extra round

This is how I learnt to shoot
(12 September 2013, 06:00)Tigs Wrote: [ -> ]Waylander that is exactly what happens during sniper training, you are given less ammo and more targets until they match , you are expected to kill every target ( the one shot one kill approach ) ,its a great way of horning your skills but must be practised over and over or you become sloppy believe me that happens quite quickly.

I dread to think how shabby my shooting would be right now , let my FAC lapse when i moved to the wirral/merseyside 5 years ago...previous to that shooting was a big part of my life , had 3 peices of land to shoot over(open ticket .17hmr and .22lr)and shot with my club at least twice a month...gallery and military ranges, did bisley 3 or 4 times a year and i could group under 5 inches at 600m with my l42a1 of a bipod not free hand.......scary how that will have slipped , i know go shoot 40 or 60 clays once in a blue moon.
thats a great idea! i already have too pick my shots with my .22wmr as its a Martini action,but with my ruger 10/22 i use way too much ammo 25 round mags is lots of fun but extremely waste full Smile
(13 September 2013, 09:00)Stevew Wrote: [ -> ]thats a great idea! i already have too pick my shots with my .22wmr as its a Martini action,but with my ruger 10/22 i use way too much ammo 25 round mags is lots of fun but extremely waste full Smile

Steve can i ask how much is 50 rnds of .22mag expanding now? been thinking about getting FAC back and brno have a new self loader out with a steel 10 rnd mag...thought it would be given our regs the best option for a wilderness/survival gun being the hardest hitting autoloader we can legally have.
midnitemo i use remington 40 grain jacketed hollow points and they are £12.50 for 50.
the cz 512 i thinks the rifle your on about. i`d been after a auto loader .22mag for years but never found a good one then the week after i got my Martini they released the 512 and it looks like a realy good rifle!
i might yet get the .22mag re-chamberd to .22hornet and get the 512 Smile
(13 September 2013, 14:29)Stevew Wrote: [ -> ]i might yet get the .22mag re-chamberd to .22hornet and get the 512 Smile

Good luck with that, the hornets a centrefire.
Pages: 1 2 3