Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Understanding Comms Episode 3.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OMG!!! You now have got an amazing understanding of comms!

Ready to get even more tech? HAHA, nor me. Let's just expand on what you've got.

Let's get good old SD, his radio, and his 2 trusty sidekicks, HL and Beardyman, with their radios.

Radios have 5 components, remember. Now, let's imagine SD's radio is set to send and receive yellow signals (frequency).
Highlander is set to send Blue signal, but receive yellow.
Beardyman is set to receive blue and send yellow.

Okay, let's start this off.

SD sends a yellow signal.
HL can hear SD because HL has a yellow receiver.
BM can't hear SD because BM has a blue receiver.

HL sends a blue signal.
SD can't hear HL because SD has a yellow receiver.
BM can hear HL because BM has a blue receiver.

BM sends a yellow signal.
HL can hear BM because HL has a yellow receiver.
SD can hear BM because SD has a yellow receiver.

If you can't see that, right it out on a piece of paper. It'll look like this

R= Receive
T = Transmit

SkeanDhude = Yellow T and Yellow R.
Highlander = Blue T and Yellow R.
Beardyman = Yellow T and Blue R.

To hear someone, the sender needs to have the same T colour (frequency) as the listener's R colour (frequency).

It's a tiny bit more complicated, but damn, if you got this, you're blazing!!! Remember the T's and R's for their meaning, Transmit and Receive. They'll come in handy later. But for now, it's all good. Just need to know the above and understand how it works.
Definitely drifting...
ehhh?????
It seems my idea of simple is not very simple.

Basically, you need to send and receive on the same colour (frequency) as the person you want to interact with.

I'm using the example of different colours as an introduction to CTCSS codes.

I'm trying to show it's possible to send on one colour and receive on another.

This would be easier with a diagram, but I'm not great with drawing them using just text.

If you send a blue signal, that will be heard by people's radios that are set to receive a blue signal.
If you send a red signal, that will be heard by people whose radios are set to receive a red signal.
But, if you send a red signal, but are receiving a blue signal, that's okay, as long as the other person is listening to a red signal and sending a blue signal.

Okay, I'll go for an arrow diagram to explain it.

SD transmitting yellow ====> HL Receiving yellow. HL hears SD.
SD transmitting yellow ==X==> BM receiving blue. BM does not hear SD.

HL transmitting blue ====> BM receiving blue. BM hears HL.
HL transmitting blue ==X==> SD receiving yellow. SD does not hear HL.

BM transmitting yellow ====> HL receiving yellow. HL hears BM.
BM transmitting yellow ====> SD receiving yellow. SD hears BM.

I think that's the best diagram I can come up with using just text symbols.

Does that help show that you need to send and receive on the same frequency (colour) as the person listening in? Your sending colour has to be the same as their listening colour. Their sending colour has to be the same as your listening colour.

Make more sense?
Ok, simple enough... just never heard it described in this way,.. threw me a bit at first,
(16 September 2013, 23:19)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, simple enough... just never heard it described in this way,.. threw me a bit at first,

Okay then, sorry mate.

I think the 4th episode should make this method of explaining much simpler to understand why. But the idea was to totally remove the long complicated number sequences, until people actually learned what those silly long numbers were on about, that's all.
(16 September 2013, 23:31)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(16 September 2013, 23:19)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, simple enough... just never heard it described in this way,.. threw me a bit at first,

Okay then, sorry mate.

I think the 4th episode should make this method of explaining much simpler to understand why. But the idea was to totally remove the long complicated number sequences, until people actually learned what those silly long numbers were on about, that's all.

It may have been easier to start with CB radio, the concept is just the same, but for many people a lot less complicated
Maybe, but this should lead people into a way to understand pretty much 90% of comms.

By calling it general comms, CB will be in there as will PMR446's and plenty more. A broad general understanding means people can use that basis to figure out other radio systems.
I see where you are going with these threads S13

Good work, I like it.

Like I-K-E said, your's is an unusual approach, but this is useful if it allows non technically inclined preppers to understand and make use of personal communications equipment.

Well done, and keep it coming.