Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Vehicle Concealment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Been looking at bugging out with my car. Maybe not the most practical thing, bugging out with your car, but it could be a viable option, if you bug out soon enough.

I'm currently looking at putting a small space-blanket under the bonnet and exhaust, to conceal as much heat signature as possible. After that, it'll be a job of a camo net. I'll add a few sticks under the net to break up the obvious car shape and smooth outline.

Any other suggestions and ideas would be well appreciated.
I doubt that would work as you intend. A cars heat signature is mainly engine but there is the exhaust as well. Plus the amount of heat in an engine will need to go somewhere. and it would just go around the blanket if it was small. Might be worth a large sheet to cover the car and fasten it down at the edges but don't know where you would get a sheet that size.

The camo net would be needed on top still.
You cant completely get rid of the heat signature of a vehicle, but of course that heat doesn't last long after you have stopped

What you have said about camouflaging your car is good,... but not complete

It is not just the car that needs to be hidden, the very dark shadow that sits under the car is very clear, and can be seen a long way off,... also the mirrors and all glass, including headlights will reflect light through your cam net,... all glass needs sacking [or simular] covering them [ under the cam net]..... and you need to break up that dark shadow too
I have a large green plastic tarpaulin that I will put over the car and peg down then the camo net goes over that, plus twigs and leaves and grasses etc.
The heat signature isn't my main concern. More the visible car itself. In a 100% of my concern, heat was about 10%.

Well reminded about the reflective surfaces HL. Mirrors should be easy enough, just fold them in. The windows I did think about just winding them down, but rain stopped that idea haha.

A bit of hessian sack, or normal matt material should be easy enough to source.
BP,

I would think that would cover all the issues. You can get some big tarps. I have one that will cover my house. Don't know what I will use it for but it was cheap enough.
(19 September 2013, 11:46)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]BP,

I would think that would cover all the issues. You can get some big tarps. I have one that will cover my house. Don't know what I will use it for but it was cheap enough.

yes, I bought it on Ebay(like most of my stuff) for this very purpose a long time ago.the camo nets came later as a suggestion by the OH.
I would be very wary of using a tarp of any type,... first of all most are very reflective, shine a torch on a tarp at night and see, even under a camo net,.. all camo should be none reflective, plus the tarp would collect water and will upset the shape that you need to remain hidden

Also, its no good just throwing a tarp/net/anything over something and hope to hide it,.. the item you are trying to hide needs to blend in,.. if there are no green humps in the area dont look like a green hump, you will be seen, good camo never touches what you are trying to hide, if its a vehicle, you may need to drive out in a hurry.

Change the shape of the camo, carry it on further than the vehicle,... think about the surroundings and your backdrop, carfull not to skyline yourself...... brown camo is no good against green fields, and green camo is no good in woods,... neither is any good in winter when the snow is down

Think about where you park up, use hollows in the ground if possible, then use your net from ground to ground without touching the vehicle.

Also think about the ground you have covered before you stopped, the best camo in the world will be no good if you have muddy wheel tracks leading to the vehicle
My Thoughts would be get where you're going and abandon it....you can jark it so it'll still be there should you need it again but i think using roads and vehicles in the short term is a very dangerous pastime , to easy to throw up an unsighted roadblock and trap you , peole will hear/see you from miles off....going to stick to shanks pony in the early stages and hope one of my vehicles remains intact for later use.
the best use of a vehicle post SHTF, IMO, is to use to block access to your area or BOL, there wont be much fuel about if any, and the roads probably wont be useable either.
Pages: 1 2 3 4