Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What are you planning next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Chasing up some Krav Maga lessons, hearing back from st Johns Ambulance, and getting on with college.
(2 October 2013, 18:24)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]finish my aquaponics build Smile

Post up about it when you've got it done mate. I was talking to the wife about it earlier, but she's a veggie so might make the fish thing difficult.

Would love to see pics too when it's done.
You could grow your set up to expand production quicker with the spare fish or you could barter with the fish if you didn't want it.
It doesn't have to be fish either in the set up.
(2 October 2013, 22:22)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]You could grow your set up to expand production quicker with the spare fish or you could barter with the fish if you didn't want it.
It doesn't have to be fish either in the set up.

I know mate. But you know what my wife is like.
(2 October 2013, 20:31)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2 October 2013, 18:24)Hex Wrote: [ -> ]finish my aquaponics build Smile

Post up about it when you've got it done mate. I was talking to the wife about it earlier, but she's a veggie so might make the fish thing difficult.

Would love to see pics too when it's done.

will see what i can do about pics Smile

as for eating the fish, im conflicted on this. i understand the idea behind aquaponics is you have both fish and plants to eat which is what makes aquaponics so appealing to me. the problem i can see rising though is actually getting the fish to breed and having the fry survive to an edible size without being ate by the larger fish. now breeding the fish probably wouldnt be an issue if my set up was larger as i could have a specific fry tank but since i have a reasonably small set up im not sure how it will go. if im lucky i might still be able to sort something though Smile but if i cant breed the fish then ideally i dont want to be eating them.

the other problem is then what type of fish to raise, Talapia and trout are the most common as i understand things. Talapia however are tropical meaning the need to heat the tank water. which in turn will put a drain on my power supply. with that in mind Trout would seem like the better option, however im not actually sure how i could get trout without actually fishing for them.

of cause the other option i have is possibly filling the tank with goldfish Smile
Iv been working heavily on building an 'off grid' shed, Big Grin I know it's not much but it's going to be a practice, if it works it will be stuff I can then transfer to the house, iv included underfloor storage between the shed base and the shed floor which is simply drain pipes well sealed at both ends, but also big holes in the shed base for more food stuffs, it will also have a solar powered lighting and heating system, an underground water reservoir sourced from a water butt, so everything is hidden away and from the outside it looks like a simple garden shed
(3 October 2013, 19:05)Bonnox Wrote: [ -> ]Iv been working heavily on building an 'off grid' shed, Big Grin I know it's not much but it's going to be a practice, if it works it will be stuff I can then transfer to the house, iv included underfloor storage between the shed base and the shed floor which is simply drain pipes well sealed at both ends, but also big holes in the shed base for more food stuffs, it will also have a solar powered lighting and heating system, an underground water reservoir sourced from a water butt, so everything is hidden away and from the outside it looks like a simple garden shed

Brilliant idea Bonnox, kind of an off grid tardis shed???? CoolBig Grin

Next for me?
.....another bottle of Chardonnay I think :-)
Brilliant idea Bonnox, kind of an off grid tardis shed???? CoolBig Grin

Yeah, it's gonna be my 'man cave', it's gonna be a workshop, just need to figure out what I need to 'work' on nowBig Grin
(3 October 2013, 20:10)Bonnox Wrote: [ -> ]Brilliant idea Bonnox, kind of an off grid tardis shed???? CoolBig Grin

Yeah, it's gonna be my 'man cave', it's gonna be a workshop, just need to figure out what I need to 'work' on nowBig Grin

From your description, I'm making an informed guess that most of your work in there will involve digging!
The digging is done, did that before laying the shed floor[/quote]
Pages: 1 2