Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Camping 101...for beginners.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(21 October 2013, 17:01)Lanky Yankee Wrote: [ -> ]I've never done proper camping, just glamping (my wife likes toilets and showers). I was wondering about doing a more roughing it type of camping with my son, but not sure about our equipment. I have a good stove and torches ect, but my tent is rather large. do most of you more experienced campers use the smaller 2 man tents? Mine is a 8 person as big as a small bedroom thing but works well with the elements as we find out every time we go camping.

depends what your going to be doing. sounds like maybe your Mrs isnt into roughing it so much. My daughter's the same way so we compromise - camp grounds with restrooms and showers and even (gasp) electric hook ups. we have a huge 8 man tent, the extra space is nice. We even set up a small table inside so we can play games or watch a dvd at night.

before all the camping purists jump on this- I agree with everything your going to say! I have done plenty of wilderness camping alone and with the fellas. I love it. But if I want to spend some time with my kid doing stuff in the woods, she likes to have some comforts. Ok, so we're not sleeping in a lean-to , but we are doing all cooking just using fire for heat, hiking, fishing and biking. Thats a good tradeoff for me.
Pages: 1 2